Making a Difference Together
McCarthy Tétrault Foundation
One of the most significant ways in which our firm contributes to Canadian communities is through the McCarthy Tétrault Foundation, a firm-wide, regionally represented organization governed by a board of directors who meet monthly. We created the Foundation in 1997 – a first among Canadian law firms – to oversee our firm-wide charitable giving and sponsorships.The Foundation’s goals are to:
- deliver on our obligations as a major player in the Canadian legal and economic landscape
- give back to the communities in which we reside and work
- recognize the significant contribution that Canadian law schools make to our success in a way that supports our recruitment efforts to continually attract the best and brightest students
- coordinate our giving program such that the objectives of the firm and our donations in all regions are appropriately aligned
The funds available to the Foundation since its inception have been disbursed under two broad categories:
1. Community and local charitable causes, including specific capital campaigns and arts organizations supported by the firm.
2. Law school donations, including sponsoring law student internships and capital campaigns on an ongoing basis. This giving is determined in consultation with members of our Student Program. For example, through the Foundation’s annual contribution, McCarthy Tétrault is the exclusive law firm partner for Pro Bono Students Canada, which operates in law schools across the country.
The Foundation supports over 160 Canadian organizations and institutions, including hospitals, local charities, food banks, youth and cultural programs, arts organizations and law schools.
(Chair of the Foundation)
Nigel Johnston (Ontario)
Philippe Cantin (Québec)
LMG Life Sciences names Steven Mason as Canadian Patent Litigation Attorney of the Year
McCarthy Tétrault congratulates Richard Drouin on 60 years at the Bar
McCarthy Tétrault congratulates Daniel Johnson for 50 years of Bar membership
10 McCarthy Tétrault Lawyers Recognized As “Lawyer of the Year”
Shevaun McGrath joins McCarthy Tétrault in Toronto
McCarthy Tétrault’s Philippe H. Bélanger and Julie-Martine Loranger awarded the distinction of Advocatus Emeritus
McCarthy Tétrault partner Barry Sookman joins Macdonald-Laurier Institute Advisory Council
Leading Litigator Sarit Batner once again named one of Canada’s Top 25 Women in the field
McCarthy Tétrault Joins INCOPRO Legal Network
McCarthy Tétrault Advisor Wayne G. Wouters is appointed officer of the Order of Canada