McCarthy Tétrault Wins Multiple Honours at Lexpert® Zenith Pro Bono Awards
September 29, 2010
Sarah W. Corman
Jonathan C. Lisus
Cynthia A. MacDougall
David E. Roberge
Godyne N.L. Sibay
Christopher A. Wayland
Alexi N. Wood
Toronto, September 29, 2010 — McCarthy Tétrault is proud to announce that its pro bono initiatives garnered five top awards yesterday at the 2010 Lexpert® Zenith Pro Bono Awards gala. The evening celebrated the dedication of leading Canadian law firms, in-house departments and law students who have committed their time, skills and mentorship to pro bono activities in Canada and internationally.
"I am extremely proud of all of our people for so enthusiastically donating their time and expertise to these important projects," said Marc-André Blanchard, Chair and Chief Executive Officer, McCarthy Tétrault LLP."This recognition is not just a great honour, it is a source of inspiration for us all. Pro bono work is an important responsibility for the entire legal community."
The firm achieved:
- Platinum in the Most Impact on Child or Children category for the firm’s Unaccompanied Minors project. This initiative matches minors who arrive alone at Toronto’s Pearson Airport with McCarthy Tétrault lawyers, who act as their representatives. Christine Lonsdale leads this program; nearly 50 of the firm’s lawyers have been involved.
- Platinum in the Change Agent: Race, Culture and/or Ethnicity category for the firm’s work in seeking compensation at the European Court of Human Rights for a Roma community who had been beaten and driven from their homes in Romania. Lawyer Junior Sirivar and former McCarthy Tétrault Partner Mark Freiman were involved in this initiative.
- Gold in the Education category for the firm’s Lawyers Without Borders Canada mission in Haiti, where McCarthy Tétrault lawyers Cindy Vaillancourt and David-Emmanuel Roberge delivered a course they had created to share their knowledge of environmental law with law students and the Haitian legal community.
- Gold in the Pro Bono in the Arts category for the firm’s assistance with legal issues related to Artscape’s Wychwood Barns project. The McCarthy Tétrault team included Cynthia MacDougall, Godyne Sibay, Tzen-Yi Goh, Tristan Musgrave and former McCarthy Tétrault Associate Alexis Wiseman.
- A Special Distinction award in the Civil Liberties category for the firm’s work in representing the Canadian Civil Liberties Association in significant cases that impact the rights of all Canadians. Jonathan C. Lisus, Christopher A. Wayland, Alexi N. Wood, Sarah Corman, Sarah Shody, Kristian Brabander and Adam Ship were among the lawyers who participated in these precedent setting cases.
"We are thrilled that Lexpert® has paid such public tribute to some of our pro bono initiatives," said Gordon Baird, head of the McCarthy Tétrault Pro Bono Committee."We are also proud that the lawyers honoured last night are part of a long-standing tradition at our firm. In 2009 alone, more than 300 dedicated McCarthy Tétrault lawyers contributed 9,200 hours – a value of more than $3.4 million – in pro bono services.
- Canadian Civil Liberties Association, backed by McCarthy Tétrault lawyers, Achieves Special Distinction for Safeguarding Our Rights and Liberties
- McCarthy Tétrault Support for Artscape’s Green/Arts Barn Project Achieves Gold
- McCarthy Tétrault lawyers Achieve Platinum for Helping Roma Families Obtain Justice
- McCarthy Tétrault Achieves Gold for Teaching Haitians How To Protect Their Environment
- McCarthy Tétrault Achieves Platinum for its Support of Unaccompanied Child Refugees
About McCarthy Tétrault
McCarthy Tétrault provides a broad range of legal services, advising on large and complex assignments for Canadian and international interests. The firm has substantial presence in Canada’s major commercial centres and in London, UK.
Built on a unique model of collaboration, the firm brings its legal talent, industry knowledge and practice experience, wherever needed, to help clients achieve the results that are important to them.
— 30 —
For further information, or to request an interview with a McCarthy Tétrault lawyer, please contact:
Director of Communications
Canada’s leading business law and litigation firm since 1855
Canada's first 'national' law firm — a significant development in the legal industry requiring approval from the Supreme Court of Canada
We deliver integrated legal solutions nationally and globally through our business law, tax, real property, labour and employment, and litigation expertise
Approximately 500 lawyers in Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto, Montréal and Québec City, as well as in New York City and London, UK
Canada’s top litigation firm for more than 150 years
One of the top Canadian financial services practices by leading national and international legal directories
One of the nation’s top-ranked tax law practices by leading tax directories
Rated the top real estate law firm in Canada by leading national and international legal directories