Lawyer Profile Detail
AREA OF EXPERTISE
British Columbia, 2017
Jade Buchanan is an associate in our Business Law Group in Vancouver. His practice is focused on information technology, intellectual property, anti-spam compliance and privacy.
Jade’s technology transaction experience includes drafting and negotiating a range of IT outsourcing, licensing, maintenance and support agreements. He is also experienced in technology-focused mergers and acquisitions.
His recent experience includes:
- Acting for an aeronautics company in its global IT outsourcing agreement.
- Assisting over 20 companies with their CASL (anti-spam law) compliance efforts.
- Counsel to client in becoming registry operator for generic top-level domain (gTLD) and outsourcing certain registry-operator functions.
- Counsel to IT entertainment services provider in acquisition of software and hardware assets.
- Lead counsel for vendor in cross-border (Canada to US) sale of assets of social media software business in entertainment sector.
Prior to joining McCarthy Tétrault, Jade practiced with a leading western Canadian firm and clerked for the Saskatchewan Court of Appeal under the Chief Justice.
Jade obtained his Honours B.A. (High Honours) with a double major in Political Science and English from the University of Saskatchewan in 2008. He received his J.D. from Dalhousie University in 2011.
Jade was called to the Saskatchewan bar in 2012 and the British Columbia bar in 2017. He is a member of the Law Society of British Columbia, Law Society of Saskatchewan (inactive), and the Canadian Bar Association.
COMMUNITY & PROFESSIONAL LEADERSHIP
- Intellectual Property Institute of Canada (IPIC) - Associate Member
- Canadian IT Law Association (IT.Can) - Member
AWARDS & DISTINCTIONS
- Horace E. Read Award - Awarded to graduating student who has made the greatest overall contribution to scholarship and student life (2011)
- Schulich Scholarship in Law - Award based on academic merit and community involvement (2010)
- McCarthy Tétrault Leadership Award - Award based on academic merit and community involvement (2010)
- Hon. Richard B. Hanson Prize in Constitutional Law - Awarded for the highest mark in Constitutional Law (2010)
Transactions & Cases
Bombardier signs C$700M agreement with IBM to accelerate IT Business Transformation