Lawyer Profile Detail
AREA OF EXPERTISE
University of Toronto
Paul Davis is an associate in our Litigation Group in Toronto. He maintains a general litigation practice with an emphasis on corporate and commercial litigation, class actions, construction and infrastructure litigation, and professional liability.
Mr. Davis acts for public and private companies and individuals in breach of contract, economic tort, oppression and regulatory proceedings, and in connection with injunctive relief. He also represents physicians in professional negligence and misconduct proceedings before courts and administrative tribunals.
Mr. Davis has appeared as counsel before all levels of court in Ontario, including the Court of Appeal for Ontario, Divisional Court, Superior Court of Justice and Ontario Court of Justice, as well as the Tax Court of Canada and administrative tribunals, including the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario and the Consent and Capacity Board. He has also appeared as counsel in domestic and international arbitrations.
Prior to joining McCarthy Tétrault, Mr. Davis clerked at the Court of Appeal for Ontario for Chief Justice of Ontario George Strathy and Justices David Doherty and Russell Juriansz.
Mr. Davis graduated as Bronze Medallist from the University of Toronto Faculty of Law (Hons., JD) in 2013. At law school, he was on the winning team at the Canadian national corporate-securities law moot and served as a Senior Editor of the University of Toronto Faculty of Law Review. Mr. Davis obtained a First Class Honours BA with distinction from Mount Allison University in 2010.
Mr. Davis was called to the Ontario bar in 2014. He is a member of Law Society of Upper Canada, the Advocates’ Society and the Canadian Bar Association.
RECENT REPRESENTATIVE MATTERS INCLUDE :
- Representing a public mining company in defence of a secondary market liability securities class action;
- Representing a renewable energy developer in an arbitration against a public agency;
- Representing a public company in a contested Plan of Arrangement and fair value proceeding;
- Representing a manufacturer in the automotive parts sector in defence of a product liability class action;
- Representing public and private sector property owners in construction disputes against general contractors;
- Representing a private corporation in an international commercial arbitration against a technology provider;
- Representing a public corporation seeking injunctive relief concerning alleged misuse of confidential information by an insider;
- Representing a private corporation in a dispute before the Tax Court of Canada relating to its former income trust structure;
- Representing a chartered bank in defence of allegations of breach of trust, knowing assistance and knowing receipt;
- Acting for the special committee of a public company in an internal investigation concerning potential foreign corrupt practices and insider trading;
- Representing an industrial company in litigation arising out of a cross-border asset purchase transaction.
- Co-author: “Securities Litigation Comes of Age at the Supreme Court of Canada” (Supreme Court Law Review, published December 2016)
Jurisdiction of Canadian Courts over Foreign Entities and Transactions: Guidance from the Ontario Divisional Court
Transactions & Cases
Enbridge Inc. completes C$37B acquisition of Spectra Energy Corp