Lawyer Profile Detail
Paul R. Cassidy
AREA OF EXPERTISE
Osgoode Hall Law School
British Columbia, 1993
Paul Cassidy is a partner in our Business Law Group in Vancouver and co-head of our National Environmental, Regulatory & Aboriginal Group. His practice is primarily focused in the areas of corporate and commercial law.
Mr. Cassidy is one of Canada's leading environmental and energy lawyers. He has been listed in Lexpert's Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada for 18 consecutive years. In the 2015 edition of The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, a guide to the leading law firms and practitioners in Canada, he is the most frequently recommended environmental lawyer in British Columbia and he is repeatedly recommended as a leading lawyer in energy (oil, gas and electricity) law. He is the only environmental lawyer in British Columbia to receive the highest ranking (Band 1) by both Chambers Canada and Chambers Global and he has been selected as the Environmental Lawyer of the Year in Vancouver for 2016 by Best Lawyers in Canada. He is also recognized in Who's Who Legal: Canada in the area of environment.
Mr. Cassidy’s practice is a combination of regulatory, corporate/commercial, litigation, policy and project development work for clients across North America in a variety of industries, including the energy (conventional, upstream, pipelines, LNG and renewable), marine and terminal shipping, natural resources extraction (mining and forest products), power (generation/transmission), transportation and manufacturing sectors.
- Represented and led several major energy (conventional and renewable) and mining projects in development stage environmental assessments and operational permitting
- Advised major energy companies on environmental due diligence strategies
- Advised major energy companies on responses to environmental enforcement actions
- Provided environmental crisis management advice
- Advised on utility regulation matters/electricity generation, transmission and LNG electricity supply agreements
- Advised on contaminated sites and brownfield development
- Advised on property acquisitions related to LNG siting, including in depth due diligence on potential sites in British Columbia
- Advised project proponents and investors on potential LNG greenhouse gas rules, emissions standards and carbon taxes
AWARDS AND RECOGNITION
Mr. Cassidy is recognized for his expertise in many rankings and publications including:
- The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory 2015 (Oil & Gas, Electricity and Environmental Law)
- The 2016 Lexpert/American Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada (Environmental Law)
- The Legal 500 Guide 2015 (Environmental Law)
- Chambers Global: The World's Leading Lawyers for Business 2016 (Environment - Band 1)
- The Best Lawyers in Canada 2016 (Energy Law, Energy Regulatory Law, Environmental Law, Natural Resources Law)
- Best Lawyers in Canada 2016 Vancouver Environmental Lawyer of the Year
- Lexpert Special Edition: Canada's Leading Energy Lawyers 2015
- Lexpert Special Edition: Canada's Leading Global Mining Lawyers 2015
- Law Business Research's The International Who's Who of Environmental Lawyers 2015
Mr. Cassidy is a member of several community, business and professional organizations including being a member of the Executive Committee of the Board of Governors of the British Columbia Business Council, a Director of the Society of Contaminated Sites Approved Professionals of British Columbia, the past co-chair of the Canadian Environmental Law Forum, and has served as a Director of the Association for Mineral Exploration B.C., the Ontario Forestry Association, and the Nature Conservancy of Canada - B.C. Region.
Mr. Cassidy is a frequent lecturer at universities and at management courses on environmental law and management. He has published several articles on environmental issues and was a founding editor of a book on forestry law in British Columbia.
A certified mediator, Mr. Cassidy is a founding member of the Canadian Centre for Environmental Arbitration and Mediation.
Mr. Cassidy joined the firm in April, 2014. He received a Certificate in Mediation and Alternative Dispute Resolution from the University of Windsor in 2006, and his BA from University of New Brunswick in 2005, and his JD from Osgoode Hall in 1982.
McCarthy Tétrault strengthens its Vancouver office with addition of Paul Cassidy, Debra Finlay and Monika Sawicka