Lawyer Profile Detail
AREA OF EXPERTISE
University of Saskatchewan
Timothy W. Froese is a senior associate with our Litigation Group in Calgary with a practice focused on corporate commercial litigation and class actions defence. He has appeared before all levels of court in Alberta and Saskatchewan and has successfully employed a variety of dispute resolution methods, including negotiation, mediation, and summary dismissal.
Tim represents clients in a variety of industries, including the energy, resources and financial services sectors, in a wide range of commercial litigation matters, including complex contractual disputes, shareholder claims, oppression actions, creditor/debtor disputes, insurance coverage claims, defamation claims, injunction applications, lease disputes, and plans of arrangement. His experience includes:
- Defending financial institutions against a variety of consumer claims and class actions, including involving allegations of Ponzi schemes and account holder fraud
- Advising and defending a regulated natural gas and electricity retailer in a consumer class action, including with respect to related proceedings before the Alberta Utilities Commission
- Interpretation and enforcement of standard (including CAPL Operating Procedures and PASC Accounting Procedures) and unique contracts
- Representing corporate clients in the energy and resources industries with respect to claims involving environmental contamination, joint operations, accounting practices, contractor and subcontractor disputes, and director and officer duties
- Representing insured corporations in insurance coverage claims, including with respect to pipeline failures and environmental damage
- Litigation involving a federally-regulated pension plan for union and non-union employees.
Prior to law school, Tim enjoyed a productive career with a manufacturer of pre-engineered buildings. As Warranty Manager, he administered product deficiency claims for eight years, then spent a further two years as Estimating Manager of the global design-build division. Tim draws upon that experience to view his client’s legal services requirements from a business perspective.
Tim received his BA (High Honours) in Political Studies from the University of Saskatchewan and his JD (Great Distinction) from the University of Saskatchewan. While in law school, he was awarded the Law Society of Saskatchewan Gold Medal, the Thomas Dowrick Brown Prize for Most Distinguished Graduate, the Blakes Scholarship, and a number of other academic awards. Tim is a member of the Law Society of Alberta, the Law Society of Saskatchewan, the Canadian Bar Association, and the Calgary Bar Association.