Lawyer Profile Detail
Robert A. Glasgow
University of Western Ontario
Robert Glasgow is an associate in the International Trade and Disputes Group in Toronto.
Robert provides advice to clients in both the public and private sector regarding the application of Canadian trade and customs law. His practice focuses on anti-dumping, countervail and safeguard measures, economic sanctions, export, import and technology transfer controls, defence trade controls, and customs and tariffs appeals and advanced rulings. He has provided advice and opinions regarding NAFTA Chapter 11 claims and World Trade Organization complaints and disputes.
In addition, Robert maintains a practice in government procurement law. His clients include both public purchasers and private suppliers bidding on government contracts. Robert has written regarding many aspects of procurement law, most particularly on the impact of Canada’s various free trade agreements and the obligations they impose on public bodies conducting a procurement. Robert’s work includes both advising parties on constructing procurements that withstand judicial scrutiny, and assisting his clients in challenging improper procurement processes.
In the above areas, Robert assists his clients in interactions with and applications to various government regulatory bodies including the Canadian Border Services Agency and Global Affairs Canada. Robert has also acted for his clients before the Canadian International Trade Tribunal, the Federal Court, and the Federal Court of Appeal.
Robert received his J.D. (with distinction) from the University of Western Ontario’s Faculty of Law in 2012. While attending law school, he was awarded numerous awards for academic achievement and contributions to the law school including the Harold G. Fox Education Fund Award and the Dean Ivan C Rand Award. Prior to attending law school, Robert received his Bachelor of Arts in International Affairs and Public Policy from Princeton University in 2007
Robert was called to the Ontario Bar in 2013. He is a member if the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association and the Ontario Bar Association.
RECENT PUBLICATIONS, ATTRIBUTIONS AND SPEECHES (2013 TO PRESENT)
- John W. Boscariol, Robert A. Glasgow and Ljilana Stanic - “Canada-EU Comprehensive Economic and Trade Agreement: Sub-Federal Procurement Challenges Ahead”, McCarthy Tétrault Legal Update, July 4, 2017.
- “Canada Begins NAFTA Consultations”, McCarthy Tétrault Legal Update, with Robert Glasgow and Simon Potter, June 5, 2017.
- John W. Boscariol and Robert A. Glasgow, “Canada-EU Comprehensive Economic and Trade Agreement (CETA) Now Moving Quickly Towards Implementation”, McCarthy Tétrault Legal Update, February 17, 2017.
- Canada Removes Ban on Exports and Technology Transfers to Belarus, McCarthy Tétrault, with Robert Glasgow, May 9, 2016.
- Iran sanctions relaxed: Opportunities and risks, Diplomat & International Canada, with Robert Glasgow, April-June, 2016 edition.
- “Publish What You Pay” Alert: ESTMA Guidance and Reporting Requirements for Mining, Oil and Gas Firms Now Finalized, McCarthy Tétrault, with Robert Glasgow, March 28, 2016.
- Canada Reaffirms Russia and Ukraine Sanctions Policy and Expands Its List of Targets, McCarthy Tétrault, with Robert Glasgow, March 21, 2016.
- Canada Eases Iran Sanctions Regulations – Is Iran Open for Business? McCarthy Tétrault E-Alert, with Robert Glasgow, February 5, 2016.
- Canada Initiating Compliance Verifications Against Exporters, McCarthy Tétrault Legal Update, with Robert Glasgow and Helen Fotinos, November 18, 2015.
- Canada seeking consultation on guidance and reporting requirements under the Extractive Sector Transparency Measures Act
- Canada brings into force payment disclosure regime: the Extractive Sector Transparency Measures Act
- Canada implements new Integrity Regime for public procurement
- Prohibited compliance: Canada’s latest attack against Buy America causes cancellation of U.S. procurement
- New CBSA transfer pricing policy creates opportunities and obligations for importers
- Canada introduces new border remedies to address importation of counterfeit products
- Canada introduces new payment disclosure regime: the Extractive Sector Transparency Measures Act
- The first test of the supplier integrity rules
- CETA will create a two-tiered system for Investment Canada Act reviews
- Russia/Ukraine economic sanctions update: Canada expands sanctions list against Russian and Ukrainian individuals and entities
- Pay me now: Court of Appeal delivers lessons on fiduciary duties, the business judgment rule, and executive compensation
- Russia/Ukraine economic sanctions update: new measures target the energy, financial and defence sectors
- Russia/Ukraine sanctions update: Canada designates 14 more parties
- Russia and Ukraine sanctions update: Canada designates 12 more parties
- Historic procurement opportunities – part II
- Canadian Government launches consultations on mandatory payment disclosure rules
- Historic procurement opportunities - Comprehensive Economic Trade Agreement with Europe dramatically changes public utility procurement
- Canada and South Korea reach long-awaited free trade and investment agreement
- Significant amendments proposed to strengthen Canada’s anti-corruption regime
- A primer on the new China-Canada bilateral investment treaty
Key Developments in Canada’s Economic Sanctions and Export Controls During 2017 & What to Expect in 2018
Canada Continues Efforts in Battling Foreign Corruption – 2017 in Review and What to Expect for 2018
Facilitation Payments Now Illegal Under Canada’s Foreign Corruption Law
Canada Publishes a Somewhat Consolidated Economic Sanctions List
Major Changes to Canada’s Export and Technology Transfer Controls Coming into Force Shortly
No Bribe, No Bribee, No Essential Offence Elements in Canada… But Conspiracy Conviction Under CFPOA Affirmed
The Art of Trade: Knowing the US Position in NAFTA Negotiations
Canada-EU Comprehensive Economic and Trade Agreement: Sub-Federal Procurement Challenges Ahead
Canada Begins NAFTA Consultations
Canada-EU Comprehensive Economic and Trade Agreement (CETA) Now Moving Quickly Towards Implementation
McCarthy Tétrault releases sixth annual Mining in the Courts
Transactions & Cases
MagIndustries probed by RCMP over bribery allegations in Congo