Lawyer Profile Detail
AREA OF EXPERTISE
Ryan Hornby is an associate in our Business Law Group in Toronto. He maintains a general corporate practice which includes corporate finance (debt and equity), securities, mergers and acquisitions and advising on various matters relating to corporate governance.
Recent transactions in which Ryan has been involved include:
- acting for TD Bank in connection with over C$2 billion in various offerings of NVCC compliant preferred shares;
- acting for the syndicate of underwriters on the public offering by Manulife Financial Corporation of C$1.76 billion of subscription receipts to finance the acquisition of Standard Life plc’s Canadian assets;
- acting for Chesswood Group Limited in connection with its C$64 million acquisition of Blue Chip Leasing Corporation and EcoHome Financial Inc. and the related C$32 million public offering of subscription receipts and concurrent $6 million private placement offering of subscription receipts;
- acting for the syndicate of underwriters on the public offering by EnerCare Inc. of C$333 million of subscription receipts to finance its acquisition of certain assets of Direct Energy Marketing Limited;
- advising Partners REIT in connection with its rescission of a C$90 million property acquisition;
- acting for TD Bank on the sale of its Institutional Services business to National Bank for approximately C$250 million;
- acting for GE on the sale of its vehicle fleet leasing business to Element Financial Corporation for C$570 million;
- acting for Rio Tinto on a number of transactions involving Turquoise Hill Resources Ltd. (formerly Ivanhoe Mines Ltd.) including in connection with the US$2.4 billion rights offering by Turquoise Hill;
- counsel to Yara International ASA in its C$40 million strategic investment in IC Potash Corp. and concurrent off-take agreement; and
- counsel to Teranet Holdings LP in respect of its C$1.575 billion and C$525 million private placement offerings of senior bonds.
Ryan has also completed a six-month secondment with The Toronto-Dominion Bank legal department advising on matters related to corporate development, continuous disclosure and corporate governance. Recently, he contributed to the firm's Mining in the Courts (Vol. VI) publication, released in March 2016.
Ryan received his BA in Industrial Relations from McGill University in 2003, his Masters of Industrial Relations from Queen’s University in 2004, and his JD from Queen’s University in 2009. While attending law school, he participated in international exchanges to the University of Cape Town in South Africa and the Bader International Study Centre in East Sussex, UK, where he earned a certificate of International Business Law.
Ryan was called to the Ontario Bar in 2010. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association, the Ontario Bar Association, and the Prospectors and Developers Association of Canada.
A Single National Securities Regulator? The Debate Continues …
McCarthy Tétrault releases sixth annual Mining in the Courts
Transactions & Cases
Chesswood acquires Blue Chip Leasing Corporation and EcoHome Financial
The Toronto-Dominion Bank completes C$500 million offering of Basel-III compliant preferred shares
Viterra completes its offer to purchase for cash, and solicitation of consents on, Viterra’s C$200 million principal amount 6.406% senior unsecured notes
Toronto Dominion Bank completes C$500M offering of preferred shares
Turquoise Hill Resources completes US$2.4 billion rights offering
Rio Tinto completes US$600 million short term credit facility to Turquoise Hill
Difference Capital closes C$101 million offerings of common shares and debentures
GE Capital completes C$570 million sale of its Canadian fleet portfolio to Element Financial
GB Minerals completes C$8 million acquisition of remaining 49.9% of the shares of its 50.1%-owned subsidiary, GB Minerals AG
Rio Tinto completes US$5.8 billion acquisition of Ivanhoe Mines and agrees to support US$7.3 billion financing plan