Lawyer Profile Detail
Ryan Hornby is an associate in our Business Law Group in Toronto. He maintains a general corporate practice which includes corporate finance (debt and equity), securities, mergers and acquisitions and advising on various matters relating to corporate governance.
- acting for the syndicate of underwriters in connection with the US$570 million IPO by Nexa Resources S.A. (formerly, VM Holding S.A.);
- acting for Goldcorp Inc. in connection with the acquisition of a 50% interest in the Cerro Casale project from Kinross Gold Corporation and Barrick Gold Corporation, the acquisition of a 100% interest in the Quebrada Seca project from Kinross and the formation of a 50/50 regional joint venture with Barrick over the Cerro Casale, Quebrada Seca and Caspiche projects in Chile's Maricunga district;
- acting for TD Bank in connection with over $8.3 billion in various offerings of NVCC compliant preferred shares and subordinated debentures;
- acting for GE Capital on the sales of its commercial distribution finance business to Wells Fargo, transportation finance business to Bank of Montreal, franchise finance business to Canadian Western Bank and vehicle fleet leasing business to Element Financial Corporation;
- acting for the syndicate of underwriters on the public offering by Manulife Financial Corporation of $1.76 billion of subscription receipts to finance the acquisition of Standard Life plc’s Canadian assets;
- acting for Chesswood Group Limited in connection with its $64 million acquisition of Blue Chip Leasing Corporation and EcoHome Financial Inc. and the related 32$ million public offering of subscription receipts and concurrent $6 million private placement offering of subscription receipts;
- acting for the syndicate of underwriters on the public offering by EnerCare Inc. of $333 million of subscription receipts to finance its acquisition of certain assets of Direct Energy Marketing Limited;
- advising Partners REIT in connection with two rights offerings for gross proceeds of over $55 million and in connection with the rescission of a $90 million property acquisition;
- acting for TD Bank on the sale of its Institutional Services business to National Bank for approximately $250 million;
- acting for Rio Tinto on a number of transactions involving Turquoise Hill Resources Ltd. (formerly Ivanhoe Mines Ltd.) including in connection with the US$2.4 billion rights offering by Turquoise Hill;
- counsel to Yara International ASA in its $40 million strategic investment in IC Potash Corp. and concurrent off-take agreement; and
- counsel to Teranet Holdings LP in respect of its over $2.5 billion of private placement offerings of senior bonds.
Ryan is a visiting professor for the advanced securities law course offered by the University of Western Ontario and an instructor of securities law for the University of Windsor.
Ryan is a member of the Mining Group and recently completed the Osgoode Hall Certificate in Mining Law. Ryan has also completed a six-month secondment with The Toronto-Dominion Bank legal department advising on matters related to corporate development, continuous disclosure and corporate governance.
Ryan received his BA in Industrial Relations from McGill University in 2003, his Masters of Industrial Relations from Queen’s University in 2004, and his JD from Queen’s University in 2009. While attending law school, he participated in international exchanges to the University of Cape Town in South Africa and the Bader International Study Centre in East Sussex, U.K., where he earned a certificate of International Business Law.
Ryan was called to the Ontario Bar in 2010. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association, the Ontario Bar Association, and the Prospectors and Developers Association of Canada.
A Single National Securities Regulator? The Debate Continues …
McCarthy Tétrault releases sixth annual Mining in the Courts
Transactions & Cases
Nexa Resources completes US$570M IPO
Goldcorp and Barrick form a significant 50/50 regional joint venture over the Cerro Casale, Quebrada Seca and Caspiche projects in Chile's Maricunga district
TD completes largest issuance of preferred shares by any Canadian bank
Chesswood acquires Blue Chip Leasing Corporation and EcoHome Financial
The Toronto-Dominion Bank completes C$500 million offering of Basel-III compliant preferred shares
Viterra completes its offer to purchase for cash, and solicitation of consents on, Viterra’s C$200M principal amount 6.406% senior unsecured notes
Goldcorp completes C$225M secondary offering of Primero shares
Turquoise Hill Resources completes US$2.4 billion rights offering
Rio Tinto completes US$600 million short term credit facility to Turquoise Hill
Difference Capital closes C$101 million offerings of common shares and debentures