Lawyer Profile Detail
AREA OF EXPERTISE
British Columbia, 2010
New York, USA, 2006
Stephen Curran is a partner in our Business Law Group in Vancouver. He has advised public and private entities in a wide range of industries regarding private securities offerings, debt financing, private mergers and acquisitions and corporate governance matters. His practice is primarily focused in the areas of general corporate and commercial law, secured lending and project finance / P3.
Stephen is ranked in the current edition of the Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory as a leading lawyer in the area of private equity.
Recent transactions include:
Project Finance / P3
- advising the lenders to a bidder for the MacKenzie Vaughan Hospital Project (Ontario);
- advising a proponent for the City of Surrey Biofuel Processing Facility Project (British Columbia);
- advising the lenders to a proponent for the Highway 407 East Extension Project (Phase 2);
- advising the lenders to the proponent for the Sorel-Tracy Detention Centre Project (Quebec);
- advising the lenders to the proponent for the St. Thomas Consolidated Courthouse (Ontario);
- advising a proponent for the Restigouche Hospital Centre Project (New Brunswick);
- advising the lenders to the proponent for the St. Joseph's London/St. Thomas Hospitals Project (Ontario);
- advising the lenders to the proponent for the Mental Health Centre Penetanguishene (Ontario); and
- advising the proponent for the South Fraser Perimeter Road project (British Columbia).
- advising a consortium of project sponsors in respect of the disposition of project interests relating to a transportation infrastructure asset in the Province of British Columbia;
- advising an international project sponsor in a the negotiation of a cross-border strategic joint venture and subsequent disposition of project interests relating to a significant road project in the Province of Quebec;
- advising a project sponsor in the disposition of project assets for two courthouse projects in Ontario and British Columbia;
- advising Concert Infrastructure in a C$100 million contractual return arrangement with OMERS Investment Management;
- advising the project sponsors of a hospital infrastructure project located in Ontario in connection with a corporate re-organization and subsequent disposition of assets to a long-term investor;
- advising on the secondary market transfer of a portfolio of Canadian infrastructure projects, involving three transportation infrastructure projects in British Columbia and Alberta, a hospital in British Columbia and a hospital in Ontario; and
- advising a major Canadian chemical company in the disposition of assets in a series of domestic and cross-border transactions.
- advising the issuer in a cross-border bond issuance valued at approximately C$228 million to refinance the South Fraser Perimeter Road Project in British Columbia (recognized as “North American Refinancing of 2015” by IJGlobal – Project Finance & Infrastructure Journal);
- advising a US-based borrower in two senior secured syndicated credit facilities and a sale-leaseback transaction in the aggregate amount of approximately US$400 million;
- advising a US-based private equity fund in its acquisition financing for the purchase of a machinery manufacturer in British Columbia;
- advising a major Canadian forestry company regarding the structuring and establishment of (i) a senior secured syndicated credit facility in the amount of C$45 million, (ii) a senior secured bilateral facility in the amount of C$15 million, and (iii) the private placement of senior secured bonds in the United States totalling US$300 million;
- advising a start-up technology firm, as borrower, in connection with senior secured debt financing;
- advising a major Canadian mountain resort and skiing venue for the structuring and establishment of C$150 million senior credit facilities and C$126 million second lien senior notes, in connection with its contemporaneous initial public offering; and
- advising the lenders in respect of the structuring and establishment of an acquisition facility for a private company in connection with its acquisition of a long-term concession from a major U.S. university to operate and maintain certain of its utilities systems and associated infrastructure and develop future capital expansions.
Prior to joining McCarthy Tétrault in July 2010, Stephen worked for an international law firm in New York City. He received a BA in Political Science from the University of Alberta in 1998, an MSc in International Relations from the London School of Economics in 1999 and his LLB and BCL from McGill University in 2005. Stephen was called to the British Columbia bar in 2010 and is a member of the Canadian Bar Association, the Vancouver Bar Association and the Law Society of British Columbia.
Recent Changes to Prepayment Rights Under the Interest Act (Canada)
Transactions & Cases
Centerra Gold Inc. completes US$1.1B acquisition of Thompson Creek Metals Company Inc.
Taseko completes US$70M secured credit facility
Horizon Justice Sorel-Tracy LP closes C$198 million Sorel-Tracy detention centre project
Leon's completes C$700 million acquisition of The Brick
Brookfield Renewable completes C$175 million financing for B.C. Hydroelectric Project
Pender Financial completes C$11.28 million acquisition of securities in Icron Technologies
St. Joseph's Health Care Project reaches financial close
Mental Health Centre Penetanguishene Project reaches financial close
Intrawest ULC completes C$618 million sale of a 75% interest in partnerships that operate Whistler Blackcomb
Quicksilver Resources sells part of Canadian assets