Lawyer Profile Detail
AREA OF EXPERTISE
University of British Columbia
Sam Rogers is a litigation associate in Toronto. He maintains a broad litigation practice, with an emphasis on corporate/commercial, energy, construction, project, real property, and environmental litigation. He also has experience defending and prosecuting professional negligence claims.
Mr. Rogers has appeared before all levels of court in Ontario and numerous administrative tribunals. He has represented clients at trials, urgent injunctions, administrative hearings, appeals, and private arbitrations. He has advised clients during times of crisis with their reputation at stake.
Mr. Rogers has an active pro bono practice including volunteering as Duty Counsel for Pro Bono Law Ontario and leading the firm’s support of Rise Asset Development, an organization that provides low interest small business loans, training, and mentorship to entrepreneurs with a history of mental health or addiction challenges.
Representative cases include:
- represented an owner in a significant arbitration concerning the construction of a hydro-electric dam
- represented wind farm developer in a construction dispute with their general contractor
- Barber v. Humber River Regional Hospital, 2015 ONSC 1838 - represented emergency room physicians at trial about alleged missed diagnosis of bacterial meningitis
- obtained emergency Mareva injunction in a case of significant financial fraud
- represented life insurance company in challenge to changes to the life license qualification program
- 1298781 Ontario Inc. v. 730 St. Clarens Avenue Holdings Ltd., 125 O.R. (3d) 475 – appeal from status hearing decision confirming clients ability to set action down for trial
- Prince Edward County Field Naturalists v. Ostrander Point GP Inc., 119 O.R. (3d) 704 – represented wind farm developer in stay motion
- obtained emergency injunctions to remove trespassers from an energy client’s assets
- Carbone et al. v. Michael DeGroote et al., 2014 ONSC 6146 - obtained an order for security for costs of $295,000
- Ostrander Point GP Inc. and another v. Prince Edward County Field Naturalists and another, 2014 ONSC 974 (Div Ct) – represented wind farm developer in appeal of decision of Environmental Review Tribunal
- Bain v. Ontario (Ministry of the Environment),  O.E.R.T.D. No. 13 - represented wind farm developer in an environmental challenge to a renewable energy approval before the Environmental Review Tribunal
- Ber v. Goldberg, 2014 ONSC 3952 – motion excluding evidence for violating deemed undertaking rule
- Alliance to Protect Prince Edward County v. Ontario (Ministry of the Environment),  O.E.R.T.D. No. 40 – represented a wind farm developer in an environmental challenge to a renewable energy approval before the Environmental Review Tribunal
- LRK v CK, 2014 CanLII 40738 (ON HPARB); E.E.Q. v P.W.P., 2015 CanLII 18338 (ON HPARB); TN v RMS, 2014 CanLII 61674 (ON HPARB) – represented physicians at reviews of decisions of investigations committee of College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario
Mr. Rogers received his J.D. from the University of British Columbia in 2011. During law school, he was awarded prizes for academic achievement, participated in the Wilson Moot, and volunteered with the Law Students Legal Advice program. In 2008, he completed a co-op degree in Honours Computer Science at the University of Waterloo.
Mr. Rogers is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Advocates Society, the Toronto Lawyers Association, the Canadian Bar Association, and the Ontario Bar Association.