Lawyer Profile Detail
Max Thelonious Rogan
Max Thelonious Rogan is a partner in our Business Law Group in Montréal. His practice focuses mainly on mergers and acquisitions and corporate finance and on the mining, retail and consumer products industries. Mr. Rogan graduated with Great Distinction from McGill University in 2003, with BCL and LLB degrees as well as an MBA degree. He also earned a BA from the University of Alberta in 2000. He was called to the Québec bar in 2004 and is a member of the Canadian Bar Association, the American Bar Association and the Québec MBA Association.
Mr. Rogan regularly represents companies in the mining industry such as Rio Tinto, Royal Gold, Argex Titanium and McInnis Cement, retailers such as Dollarama and, lululemon athletica and companies in the consumer products industry such as Mattel, General Mills and Kruger Products with respect to transactional and commercial matters.
Recent M&A matters in which Mr. Rogan has been involved include:
- advising Mattel, Inc. in connection with its US$460 million acquisition by plan of arrangement of MEGA Brands Inc.;
- advising Produced Water Absorbents Inc. in its acquisition of the operating assets of oil and gas technology company ProSep Inc. implemented under the Companies' Creditors Arrangement Act;
- advising Inteplast Group with respect to Canadian matters in connection with its acquisition of the Coroplast corrugated plastic sheet business from the Jim Pattison Group;
- advising Kruger Products L.P. in connection with the acquisition of the Canadian tissue converting assets of Metro Paper Industries Inc.
- advising Cogeco Cable Inc. in connection with its $635 million acquisition by take-over bid circular of Peer 1 Network Enterprises, Inc., one of the world's leading IT hosting providers;
- advising Zarlink Semiconductor Inc., a leading provider of mixed-signal chip technologies for communications and medical applications, in connection with the initial hostile take-over bid and subsequent negotiated acquisition of Zarlink by Microsemi Corporation in a transaction valued at approximately $635 million;
- advising General Mills with respect to Canadian matters in connection with its US$1.2 billion acquisition from PAI Partners and Sodiaal of a 51% controlling interest in Yoplait S.A.S. and a 50% interest in a related entity that holds the worldwide Yoplait brands;
- advising OMERS Private Equity, the Caisse de dépôt et placement and other members of the consortium equity group in connection with the sale of Cari-All Group Inc., a leading North American manufacturer and distributor of shopping carts and related equipment, to Wanzl Metallwarenfabrik GmbH;
- advising the Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec (CDPQ), in connection with its $259 million acquisition of a 50% interest in South East Water Limited, a regulated utilities company supplying drinking water in England;
- advising salesforce.com, inc., a leading enterprise cloud computing company, in connection with its US$350 million acquisition of the shares of Radian6 Technologies Inc, a market and technology leader in social media monitoring and engagement; and
- advising Canadian Helicopters Limited, the largest helicopter transportation services company in Canada, in connection with its NZ$154 million acquisition of the assets of Helicopters (N.Z.) Limited, the largest helicopter transportation company in New Zealand.
Recent corporate finance matters in which Mr. Rogan has been involved include:
- advising the underwriters in connection with its $262 million initial public offering of subordinate voting shares of BRP Inc. and in connection with subsequent secondary offerings of subordinate voting shares;
- advising McInnis Cement with respect to the financing of the Port-Daniel cement plant project in the Gaspé Peninsula of Québec; and
- advising KP Tissue Inc., an issuer holding an interest in Kruger Products L.P., Canada's leading manufacturer of tissue products for household, industrial and commercial use, in connection with its $140 million initial public offering of common shares.
McCarthy Tétrault releases fourth annual Mining in the Courts
Transactions & Cases
Argex closes brokered C$7.5 million private placement of convertible debentures
Mattel completes US$460 million acquisition of MEGA Brands
Produced Water Absorbents completes C$9.2 million acquisition of ProSep Inc.'s assets
Bombardier Recreational Products completes C$262.3 million initial public offering
Cogeco Cable completes C$635 million acquisition of Peer 1 Network Enterprises
KP Tissue completes C$140 million initial public offering
Cari-All Group sold to Wanzl Metallwarenfabrik GmbH by OMERS Private Equity
Gisement McInnis and Cimbec Canada partnership for the development of the Port Daniel cement plant project
Zarlink Semiconductor completes C$635 million sale to Microsemi Corporation
Desjardins Financial Group completes C$443 million acquisition of Western Financial Group