Lawyer Profile Detail
Université de Montréal
University of Oxford
New York, USA, 2009
Massachusetts, USA, 2008
Isabelle Vendette is a partner in our Litigation Group in Montréal. Her practice focuses on commercial and civil litigation, including class actions and injunctions, in the areas of consumer law, financial services and contractual law. She regularly pleads before the civil courts as well as administrative tribunals.
The following are examples of cases in which Ms. Vendette has been involved:
- Defending financial institution in class action alleging misleading representations in the distribution of principal guaranteed notes;
- Defending a telecommunications company in commercial dispute involving its distributors, before the Superior Court and the Court of Appeal;
- Representing a company in injunction relating to false or misleading advertising;
- Defending financial institution in class action relating to non-sufficient funds fees and alleging violation of the Consumer Protection Act;
- Representing companies with authorities such as Health Canada, the Office de la protection du consommateur and the Competition Bureau;
- Representing bankruptcy trustees before the commercial division of the Superior Court in an action alleging wrongful conduct and in an action against third party;
- Defending financial institutions in class actions challenging credit card practices and mortgage repayment penalties;
- Representing a financial institution in intellectual property case and obtaining a safeguard order against opposing party;
- Acting for a transportation company in commercial arbitration;
- Defending an oil and gas company in the context of lawsuit against a distributor, before the Superior Court and the Court of Appeal;
- Representing a lending and leasing company in commercial litigation against a supplier;
- Defending a U.S. financial institution in class action alleging deceptive acts in the context of the renewal of certificates of deposit; and
- Representing a U.S. financial institution in the context of Lehman Brothers’ bankruptcy.
Ms. Vendette recently completed a secondment as senior counsel at a financial institution. Prior to joining McCarthy Tétrault, Ms. Vendette practised commercial litigation at a leading international law firm in Boston. She also served as law clerk to the Honourable Justice Jean-Louis Baudouin at the Québec Court of Appeal.
Ms. Vendette is a member of Québec bar, Massachusetts bar and New York State bar. She received a Bachelor of Laws from the University of Montréal, a master’s degree in European and comparative law with distinction from the University of Oxford, and an LLM in American Law from Boston University.
Ms. Vendette is a member of the section Alternative Dispute Resolution of the Canadian Bar Association. Ms. Vendette authored publications such as L’évolution de l’arbitrage québécois et les modifications suggérées par le projet de loi 28 : avancée ou illusion? ("Revue d’arbitrage et de médiation", 2012-2013, vol. 3, no. 2, Éditions Yvon Blais), and she is the coauthor of Injunctions ("JurisClasseur Québec", LexisNexis).
Transactions & Cases
Gisement McInnis and Cimbec Canada partnership for the development of the Port Daniel cement plant project