Lawyer Profile Detail
AREA OF EXPERTISE
Heidi Gordon is an associate in our Business Law Group in Toronto.
Her core practice involves advising on mergers and acquisitions (M&A) and capital markets transactions. She also provides advice to public company clients on corporate governance and ongoing securities law requirements, including continuous disclosure matters.
Ms. Gordon received a BA (Hons.) in Philosophy and Ethics from The University of Western Ontario in 2005, and a JD from Queen's University in 2010. While at Queen’s, Ms. Gordon was on the Dean's List, received the David Sabbath Prize in Corporate Finance and was an associate editor of the Queen's Law Journal.
In 2014, she completed a part-time, six-month secondment with Constellation Software Inc., during which time she advised on matters related primarily to M&A, securities law and corporate governance. In 2015 Ms. Gordon completed a six-month secondment with the Office of Mergers & Acquisitions at the Ontario Securities Commission, during which time she participated in the oversight of a number of M&A transactions and other matters involving public companies, and worked on a number of policy projects in the areas of M&A and shareholder rights, including the changes to Canada’s take-over bid regime, which came into effect in 2016.
Ms. Gordon is the Chief Editor and a regular contributor to the McCarthy Tétrault M&A blog, Canadian M&A Perspectives. She is a past recipient of the Firm’s Mentor of the Year Award and is the current Chair of the Firm’s Toronto Associates Committee. Ms. Gordon also teaches a seminar on public M&A for the advanced securities law programs at the University of Windsor and the University of Western Ontario.
Ms. Gordon was called to the Ontario bar in 2011. She is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association, the Ontario Bar Association and Women in Capital Markets.
RECENT M&A TRANSACTIONS
Heidi has recently advised:
- Bluesky Hotels and Resorts on its acquisition of InnVest REIT
- Slate Retail REIT in its acquisition of Slate U.S. Opportunity (No.3) Realty Trust
- NVIDIA Corporation in its acquisition of TransGaming Inc.’s game porting group and related technology
- Direct Energy on the sale of its Ontario home services business to EnerCare Inc.
- CIBC on the sale of its Aeroplan credit card portfolio to TD Bank
RECENT CAPITAL MARKETS TRANSACTIONS
Heidi has recently advised:
- Slate Office REIT on a bought deal equity public offering (with a secondary offering) for proceeds of $51 million
- Summit Industrial Income REIT on bought deal equity public offerings for proceeds of $34 million, $30 million and $28 million
- Slate Retail REIT on a bought deal equity public offering for proceeds of $50 million
- Constellation Software Inc. on rights offerings of debentures for proceeds of $230 million and $96 million
McCarthy Tétrault hosts an Evening with Kathleen Taylor, Chair of RBC
Transactions & Cases
Direct Energy sells its Ontario home and small commerical services business to Enercare for C$550 million
Summit Industrial Income REIT issues C$28.8 million of units and acquires C$18.2 million of real estate assets
CIBC completes C$3.3 billion sale of 50% of its Aerogold VISA portfolio to TD Bank
Calloway REIT completes C$100 million Series K senior unsecured debenture offering
Calloway REIT closes C$150 million Series J senior unsecured debenture offering
Manulife Financial completes C$200 million preferred share offering
Calloway REIT closes C$150 million Series I senior unsecured debenture offering
Apollo Global Management completes US$2.4 billion acquisition of McGraw-Hill's education business
Summit Industrial Income REIT completes issuance of C$75.1 million of units and C$177 million acquisition of real estate assets
Canadian 50 Advantaged Preferred Share Fund closes C$47.6 million treasury offering of Class A and Class F Units