Lawyer Profile Detail
Mathieu LeBlanc is a Partner in our Business Law Group in Québec City. He practices in the areas of mergers and acquisitions, as well as general commercial law, with a primary focus on the energy, infrastructure and industrial sectors.
Mr. LeBlanc has acted for numerous Canadian and international purchasers, vendors, investors, developers and lenders in connection with mergers and acquisitions, project financings, corporate financings as well as contract drafting and negotiation for energy, infrastructure and industrial projects in Canada and abroad. He frequently advises developers and lenders in connection with the development, construction, financing and operation of wind power, hydroelectric, cogeneration, biogas, solar and industrial projects as well as purchasers, vendors, investors and lenders in the context of the acquisition or sale of interests or assets in the infrastructure and energy industries.
He has extensive knowledge of the Québec and federal energy regulatory framework and has experience in the drafting and negotiation of a broad range of joint venture, offtake, supply, operation, maintenance, construction and procurement contracts.
Mr. LeBlanc received his Bachelor's degree in civil law from the Université Laval in 2008 and was placed on the Honour Roll of the Law Faculty for the year 2008-2009. He also studied at the Bucerius Law School in Hamburg, Germany. Mr. LeBlanc was called to the Québec bar in 2009.
Recent representative engagements include acting for:
- Kruger Inc. in connection with Investissement Québec’s $190 million investment (equity and subordinated debt) to convert Kruger’s No 10 newsprint machine in Trois-Rivières to liner board production. The investment was made in a new entity which combined the assets of Kruger’s container board and packaging activities with assets in excess of $600 million;
- Aéroport de Québec Inc. in connection with a C$265 million bond issue to finance its expansion project;
- Invenergy LLC in connection with a US$500 million investment by Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec’s in 13 operating wind farms of Invenergy LLC in the United States and Canada;
- Stonebridge Financial Corporation and Stonebridge Infrastructure Debt Fund II Limited Partnership in connection with the initial and subsequent closings of Stonebridge Infrastructure Debt Fund II Limited Partnership, an Ontario private debt fund (with capital commitments in excess of $200 million), providing project financing in the energy and infrastructure sectors;
- Boralex Inc. and Gaz Métro Limited Partnership in connection with the $725 million financing of the Seigneurie de Beaupré wind farm, Canada’s largest wind farm project;
- Enbridge Inc. in connection with various transactions involving acquisitions and joint ventures of renewable energy projects in Québec;
- project developers and lenders in connection with the drafting and negotiation or review of EPC, EPCM, BOP and equipment supply contracts for energy and infrastructure projects as well as industrial plants located in Canada and Africa;
- project developers in connection with the preparation and submission of bids in recent Hydro-Québec RFPs for the procurement of energy produced from wind power, hydroelectric and biomass projects.
What Every Stakeholder Needs to Know About Lobbyist Registration
Proposed Rules for Exploration Work for Hydrocarbons on the Anticosti Island
Québec’s New Regulation Regarding the Procurement of 450 MW of Wind Power
Québec Bill to Prohibit Certain Shale Natural Gas Exploration and Production Activities
Québec’s New 800 MW Wind Power Procurement
McCarthy Tétrault Releases 3rd Edition of Canadian Power- Key Developments and Trends to Watch
Transactions & Cases
Invenergy Completes C$2B Sale of 832 MW of Wind Power to TerraForm Power
Aéroport du Québec completes C$265 million bond issue
Eolectric Club and Fiera Axium Infrastructure Canada complete Vents du Kempt wind power project financing
Thomson CompuMark acquires Onscope's trademark business
Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec completes US$500 million investment in 13 operating wind farms
La Coop fédérée, Investissement Québec and Indian Farmers Fertiliser Cooperative to invest C$1.2 billion in IFFCO Canada
Invenergy completes the project financing for Phase 1 of the Des Moulins wind farm project
Desjardins-Innovatech completes acquisition of the investment portfolio of Société Innovatech Québec et Chaudière-Appalache
Éoliennes de l’Érables completes financing for its De l’Érable wind farm project
Stonebridge Infrastructure Debt Fund I Limited Partnership completes C$150 million initial closing