Lawyer Profile Detail
Iain C. Scott
University of Toronto
Iain Scott practices corporate and securities law, with a focus on mergers and acquisitions. He acts for a range of Canadian, US and European clients, including public and private companies, large and mid-market private equity funds, pension plans, financial institutions and hedge funds. Mr. Scott’s transactional experience includes cross border M&A transactions, leveraged buyouts, hostile take-over bids, proxy contests, governance and shareholder activism matters, fund formation, as well as debt and equity financings.
Mr. Scott has developed particular expertise in transactions involving complex share structures, including dual class shares, exchangeable shares, as well as share and voting structures to comply with Canadian regulatory requirements. He has particular industry expertise in technology and telecommunications.
Mr. Scott is "repeatedly recommended" as a leading lawyer in the area of Private Equity by the Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2012 edition.
Below are some notable matters in which Mr. Scott has been involved:
- Large and mid-market private equity firms in a range of transactions, including funds such as Blackstone, Cerberus and Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan Board. Acted opposite firms such as KKR and Bain Capital. Acted for Cosmos Capital in its hostile insider bid for Cossette Inc. involving a simultaneous dual-class structure collapse.
- Hedge funds in various capital markets transactions, including Mason Capital in its extended proxy contest with TELUS Corporation relating to the collapse of TELUS’s dual-class structure and in proceedings relating to the dual-class share collapse by Magna International. Acted for Crescendo Partners in numerous matters, including a proxy contest involving 20-20 Technologies Inc., sale of Bridgewater Systems to Amdocs by way of plan of arrangement, sale of Dalsa Corporation to Teledyne Technologies Incorporated by way of plan of arrangement, and sale of Matrikon Inc. to Honeywell International Inc.
- Strategic acquirors including IHS in its acquisition of Atrion International, Limited Brands in its $800 million take-over bid for La Senza Inc., L-3 Communications in its acquisition of the Marine Controls division of CAE Inc., Neovia Financial plc in its acquisition of OP Payments, Stanley Works in its dual-jurisdiction take-over bid for Frisco Bay Industries, as well as Honeywell International in its acquisition of Aube Technologies.
- Equity and debt issuers, including Kruger Products in a high yield note offering and its initial public offering of common shares.
- Controlling shareholders of CGI Group Inc. in the monetization of their multiple voting shares.
- Fund formation for GPs and LPs, including Eli Lilly in the formation of a new strategic investment fund for the life sciences sector.
Mr. Scott acts as a regional lead for the firm’s U.S. markets practice.
Mr. Scott received his LLB from the University of Toronto (1994) and BA (economics and philosophy) from McGill University (1991). He is a member of the bars of Ontario (1996) and Quebec (2006) c.j.c., and is fluent in English and French.
A prime acquisition: McCarthy Tétrault Welcomes Iain C. Scott
Transactions & Cases
KP Tissue completes C$140 million initial public offering
Amdocs Completes Acquisition of Bridgewater Systems for $211M
Kruger Products L.P. completes $175 million high yield note offering
Neovia Financial PLC acquires Optimal Payments
Purchase by a subsidiary of IHS Inc. of all of the issued and outstanding shares of Atrion International Inc.