Lawyer Profile Detail
University of Sherbrooke
Charles-Antoine Soulière is an associate in our Business Law Group in Québec City.
His practice focuses mainly on securities, mergers and acquisitions, corporate finance, corporate governance, venture capital as well as general business and corporate matters. Mr. Soulière acted as counsel to issuers and underwriters in various public offerings (including initial public offerings) and private placements. In the area of mergers and acquisitions, he participated in significant transactions, acting for both buyers and sellers of public and private companies, including take-over bids and going-private transactions of publicly listed issuers and acted as counsel to independent committees in connection with various transactions. Mr. Soulière also advises a number of Canadian public companies on continuous disclosure obligations, governance issues.
Mr. Soulière’s experience includes:
- Secondary private placement by National Bank of Canada of $114 million of shares of Fiera Capital Corporation through an underwriting syndicate led by National Bank Financial, GMP Securities and Scotia Capital.
- Issuance of $250 million of subordinated debentures by Industrial Alliance Insurance and Financial Services by way of prospectus supplement through a syndicate of dealers led by TD Securities.
- Acquisition by Desjardins Group of State Farm Canada’s businesses in property and casualty and life insurance, as well as its Canadian mutual fund, loan and living benefits companies and concurrent investment of $450 million by State Farm and of $200 million by Crédit Mutuel.
- Initial public offering and secondary offering of NYX Gaming Group Inc. of a value of $49.5 million through a syndicate of underwriters led by Canaccord Genuity Corp.
- Acquisition by Amaya Gaming of Oldford Group, the parent company of Rational Group, owner and operator of the PokerStars and Full Tilt Poker brands, for US$4.9 billion and financing of the acquisition by GSO Capital Partners and Canaccord Genuity by way of private placements.
- Public offering of $28 million common shares of Aptose Biosciences by a syndicate of underwriters led by RBC Capital Markets.
- Secondary public offering by Bain Capital Luxembourg Investments, Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec and other selling shareholders of $300 million of subordinate voting share of BRP offered by an underwriting syndicate led by BMO Nesbitt Burns, RBC Capital Markets, UBS Securities Canada and Citigroup Global Markets Canada.
- Sale of Novik to Clearview Capital for $45 million by way of plan of arrangement.
- Acquisition of Medicago by Mitsubishi Tanabe Pharma Corporation by way of plan of arrangement for a $357 million value.
- Sale by Lafarge North America and Lafarge Canada of their North American gypsum business to Continental Building Products, an affiliate of Lone Star Funds for a $700 million value.
Mr. Soulière received his law degree from the Université de Sherbrooke in 2007 and was called to the Québec bar in 2008.
Transactions & Cases
Aptose Biosciences Announces Approval for Listing on the NASDAQ
ABB Divests Full Service business to Nordic Capital
Financing completed for Amaya Gaming's US$4.9 billion acquisition of Rational Group
CO2 Solutions closes first tranche of private placement
CO2 Solutions closes second and final tranche of private placement
Industrial Alliance Insurance and Financial Services Inc. completes C$250 million 2.80% Fixed/Floating Subordinated Debentures Offering
Lorus Therapeutics completes C$25 million public offering
Novik completes C$45 million sale to Clearview Capital
Lorus Therapeutics completes C$8 million share offering
N. Harris Computer completes acquisition of Sand Technology