Lawyer Profile Detail
AREA OF EXPERTISE
University of British Columbia
British Columbia, 2006
Genevieve Pinto is a partner in our Business Law Group in Vancouver. Her areas of practice include corporate finance, mergers and acquisitions, capital markets transactions, securities regulation and corporate governance. She advises clients in a wide variety of industries, including specialized expertise in the consumer products & retail, Fintech, technology and mining industries.
Genevieve has assisted clients in all stages of development, from start-up through IPO, and frequently advises clients on corporate structuring, commercial matters, private equity and VC financings, M&A transactions, private placements and public offerings. Her industry and transactional expertise includes the following:
CAPITAL MARKETS AND MERGERS & ACQUISITIONS
Genevieve has extensive experience in both public and private M&A and financing transactions. She frequently advises public companies on Canadian disclosure obligations, corporate governance matters and executive compensation. Selected examples include:
- Advised on the sale of The Original Cakerie to Gryphon Investors.
- Advised Interfor Corporation on its acquisition of Tolleson Lumber for approximately $180 million
- Advised BC Biomedical Laboratories on its sale to LifeLabs Medical Laboratory Services.
- Advised a U.S. private equity firm on the acquisition of a B.C. marine equipment manufacturing business.
- Advised the underwriting syndicate in Gateway Casino’s $200 million high-yield bond offering.
- Counsel to Interfor Corporation on a $75 million equity public offering.
- Advised JH Investment, on its syndicated US$1.15 billion acquisition of Taylor Morrison and Monarch Homes and subsequent U.S. IPO.
- Advised Whistler Blackcomb Holdings Inc. on its $300 million IPO of Whistler Blackcomb Holdings Inc. and acquisition of Whistler Blackcomb assets from Intrawest ULC.
START-UP AND VENTURE CAPITAL
Genevieve leads the firm’s national start-up program for our Vancouver office and is experienced in the unique legal and business issues facing start-ups and early stage investors. She has frequently advised entrepreneurs and emerging businesses on initial formation, shareholder arrangements, share capital and incentive compensation structuring. She has also advised companies and investors on debt and equity financing transactions from early stage through venture capital and private equity rounds. Selected examples include:
- Advised a U.S. corporate venture capital investor on an investment in a B.C. IoT software company;
- Advised a B.C. retail technology company on start-up formation and financing;
- Advised a U.S. venture capital firm on a Series A investment in a Canadian cloud software company;
- Advised a U.K. venture capital firm on an equity investment in a B.C. cleantech company;
- Advised a British Columbia biotech company on Series A and convertible debt financings;
Genevieve co-leads the firm’s FinTech group, and has advised numerous financial technology innovators and financial institutions on a wide variety of matters, including M&A transactions, financings, regulatory matters, structuring and corporate matters. Selected examples include:
- Advised on commercial agreements for online banking and technology services for a B.C. financial institution;
- Advised a Canadian online lender on corporate and regulatory matters;
- Advised on OSFI B-10 compliance for financial services technology agreements;
- Advised a B.C.-based financial services technology platform on start-up and formation matters
- Advised Hyperwallet Systems Inc. on its acquisition by Primus Capital
CONSUMER PRODUCTS & RETAIL
Genevieve is a member of the firm’s Consumer Products & Retail group, advising clients on a wide variety of corporate and business matters relating to retail and consumer facing businesses. Selected examples include:
- Advised on warehousing, distribution and logistics contracts for national logistics services provider.
- Advised a North American retailer on Canadian loss prevention matters.
- Advised on supply and distribution agreements for grocery store suppliers.
- Advised on the reorganization and corporate structuring for a publicly listed BC-based coffee producer.
- Advised on Lululemon’s US$376 million initial public offering.
Genevieve has represented numerous public and private mining and natural resource companies in M&A and financing transactions and has significant expertise in disclosure and National Instrument 43-101 regulatory issues for Canadian mining issuers. Selected examples include:
- Advised Turquoise Hill Resources on its sale of a 50% interest in Altynalmas Gold to Sumeru Gold for US$235 million.
- Advised Molycorp Inc. in connection with $1.3 billion acquisition of Neo Material Technologies Inc.
- Advised Rio Tinto plc on its acquisition of Hathor Exploration Limited by way of take-over bid.
- Advised Anooraq Resources on its acquisition of a 51% interest in Lebowa Platinum Mines from Anglo Platinum for $400 million.
SPEAKING & COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT
Genevieve is a frequent speaker for business and legal organizations, including on the following topics:
- Capital Markets and M&A: Recently presented at the Law Society of BC’s Advanced Securities Law 2016 and Canadian Bar Association’s 2016 Skilled Lawyer Series on the role of directors in M&A transactions.
- FinTech: Spoke at the Digital Finance Institute’s Vancouver 2016 FinTech conference on FinTech financing.
- Consumer Products & Retail: Presented at the Retail Council of Canada’s Retail West 2015 on retail growth and acquisitions, and presented on loss prevention issues at our firm’s 2106 Consumer Products and Retail Summit.
Genevieve is also an active supporter of the Vancouver start-up and technology community, frequently guest lecturing at programs like Simon Fraser University’s Venture Connection accelerator program, and mentoring women entrepreneurs and investors.
Genevieve also serves on the board of directors of the YWCA Metro Vancouver, and is currently Chair of its Governance and Nominating Committee, as well as a member of the Association of Women in Finance, the Forum for Women Entrepreneurs, the Vancouver Board of Trade, the Institute of Corporate Directors, the Association for Mineral Exploration British Columbia and the Association for Corporate Growth.
BC Government Announces New Tech Strategy and $100 million Venture Fund
Rules Requiring Disclosure of Participation of Women on Boards and in Senior Management coming into force December 31, 2014
Ontario Proposes Four New Capital Raising Prospectus Exemptions
Securities Regulators Publish Guidance on the Use of Preliminary Economic Assessments
BCSC Proposes Amendments to NI 45-106 to Require Additional Disclosure From Issuers Raising Capital Under Prospectus Exemptions
Transactions & Cases
Gryphon Investors Announces Majority Investment in The Original Cakerie
hyperWALLET Systems completes sale to Primus Capital
AutoCanada closes C$132.3 million treasury and secondary common share offering
BC Biomedical Laboratories completes sale to LifeLabs Medical Laboratory Services
Molycorp completes C$1.3 billion acquisition of Neo Materials
Rio Tinto completes US$5.8 billion acquisition of Ivanhoe Mines and agrees to support US$7.3 billion financing plan
Mercator Minerals completes C$195 million acquisition of Creston Moly Corp.
Westport Innovations closes US$273.6 million offering of common shares
Rio Tinto PLC completes C$650 acquisition of Hathor Exploration
Zymeworks completes C$8.1 million round of financing