Lawyer Profile Detail
AREA OF EXPERTISE
University of British Columbia
British Columbia, 2006
Genevieve Pinto is a partner in our Business Law Group in Vancouver. Her areas of practice include corporate finance, mergers and acquisitions, commercial arrangements, securities regulation and corporate governance. She advises clients in a wide variety of industries, including expertise in the technology, consumer & retail, fintech and mining industries.
Genevieve has assisted clients in all stages of development, from start-up to IPO, and frequently advises clients on corporate structuring, commercial matters, private equity and VC financings, M&A transactions and public offerings. She represents both public companies and underwriters in Canadian and cross-border equity and debt offerings and frequently advises public companies on Canadian disclosure obligations, corporate governance matters and executive compensation.
Representative transactions on which Ms. Pinto has advised include:
- Advised a U.S. venture capital firm on a Series A investment in a Canadian cloud software company;
- Advised Interfor Corporation on its acquisition of Tolleson Lumber for approximately $180 million;
- Advised Hyperwallet Systems Inc. its investment acquisition by Primus Capital;
- Advised a biotech company on recent Series A and convertible debt financings;
- Advised BC Biomedical Laboratories on its sale to LifeLabs Medical Laboratory Services;
- Advised TD Securities-led underwriting syndicate in Gateway Casino’s $200 million high-yield bond offering;
- Advised on warehousing, distribution and logistics contracts for national consumer goods services provider;
- Advised an international retailer on Canadian loss prevention matters;
- Counsel to Interfor Corporation on a $75 million bought deal offering;
- Counsel to Molycorp Inc. in connection with $1.3 billion acquisition of a Canadian rare earth metals processing company;
- Advised Rio Tinto plc on its acquisition of Hathor Exploration Limited by way of take-over bid; and
- Advised Whistler Blackcomb Holdings Inc. on its $300 million IPO of Whistler Blackcomb Holdings Inc. and acquisition of Whistler Blackcomb assets from Intrawest ULC.
Genevieve serves on the board of directors of the YWCA Metro Vancouver and is a member of the Association of Women in Finance, the Vancouver Board of Trade, the Institute of Corporate Directors, the Association for Mineral Exploration British Columbia, the Association for Corporate Growth and Women in Capital Markets.
BC Government Announces New Tech Strategy and $100 million Venture Fund
Rules Requiring Disclosure of Participation of Women on Boards and in Senior Management coming into force December 31, 2014
Ontario Proposes Four New Capital Raising Prospectus Exemptions
Securities Regulators Publish Guidance on the Use of Preliminary Economic Assessments
BCSC Proposes Amendments to NI 45-106 to Require Additional Disclosure From Issuers Raising Capital Under Prospectus Exemptions
Transactions & Cases
Gryphon Investors Announces Majority Investment in The Original Cakerie
hyperWALLET Systems completes sale to Primus Capital
AutoCanada closes C$132.3 million treasury and secondary common share offering
BC Biomedical Laboratories completes sale to LifeLabs Medical Laboratory Services
Molycorp completes C$1.3 billion acquisition of Neo Materials
Rio Tinto completes US$5.8 billion acquisition of Ivanhoe Mines and agrees to support US$7.3 billion financing plan
Mercator Minerals completes C$195 million acquisition of Creston Moly Corp.
Westport Innovations closes US$273.6 million offering of common shares
Rio Tinto PLC completes C$650 acquisition of Hathor Exploration
Zymeworks completes C$8.1 million round of financing