Lawyer Profile Detail
University of Toronto
Paul Galbraith is a partner in our Real Property and Planning Group in Toronto.
Paul’s reputation for superior service and technical expertise produces exceptionally high client satisfaction ratings. His prompt, accurate responses to questions, approachability, and willingness to go the extra mile for his clients truly set him apart.
A widely-acknowledged expert on syndicated lending, Paul has spoken frequently on the topic and has an unparalleled level of experience in the field. He has recently acted as lead counsel for the lending groups on high-profile deals such as Eau Du Soleil, Aura, ICE 2, Shangri-La, Hullmark Centre, Massey Tower Condos, Monde, Yonge + Rich, YC Condos, Ten York Condos, Aquavista at Bayside, Aqualina at Bayside, 300 Front Street, Gibson Square, The Madison, Karma, Alto &Parkside at Atria, Trio at Atria, Four Seasons Private Residences, Studio on Richmond, Minto Yorkville Park, Fabrik, 365 Church, Beacon Condos, Lago, CORE, TeaHouse, Dwell, Heron’s Hill, and Cinema Tower.
In addition to syndicated lending work, Paul’s practice includes mid and large scale bilateral secured lending transactions, acquisitions and divestitures, commercial and industrial development projects, stock/share purchase transactions, and commercial leasing. In addition to his syndicated construction lending work, he has acted as lead counsel on the following:
- $2-billion acquisition of a 23 property office tower portfolio;
- $650-million wind/solar energy financing secured by multiple Ontario projects;
- Counsel to the lender providing financing for the $578MM acquisition of Amica Mature Lifestyles Inc. by Baybridge Seniors Housing Trust;
- $330-million stock purchase sale transaction involving four European hospitality properties;
- Term financing of the Four Seasons Hotel in Toronto;
- $300-million revolving operating facilities secured by mortgage pool assets in Canada and US;
- $280-million operating facility secured by properties in 6 provinces;
- $250-million unsecured operating facility to major Canadian REIT;
- $250-million term financing secured by prominent Toronto office tower;
- $138-million acquisition financing to a limited partnership for the purchase of 150 condominium properties.
Paul holds a bachelor’s degree in philosophy from the University of Calgary (1998), a master’s degree from the University of Cambridge in philosophy (2000) and a master’s degree from the University of Cambridge in mathematical logic (2002). He received his Juris Doctor from the University of Toronto in 2005 and was called to the Ontario bar in 2006.
Paul is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, Canadian Bar Association, and the Ontario Bar Association.
In his free time, Paul enjoys hitting the gym, attending Jays games, and failing to fix his golf swing.
McCarthy Tétrault advises on award-winning project finance deal
Transactions & Cases
Gosfield Wind Financial Corporation completes C$130 million wind farm refinancing
TD Bank completes C$80 miillion loan to Dundee Industrial REIT for the acquisition of an industrial portfolio
GDF SUEZ Canada completes C$1.1 billion reorganization and project financing
Kingdom Hotels (Toronto) completes C$165 million acquisition of Four Seasons Toronto
Allied Properties REIT completes C$100 million offering of units and acquisition of Toronto property portfolio
Dundee REIT completes C$832 million purchase of Slate/Blackstone Office Portfolio
Lake Shore Gold completes US$50 million corporate revolving credit facility
Cascades, Cascades USA and Cascades Europe complete C$750 million refinancing
Cadillac Fairview and Ivanhoe Cambridge sell Cataraqui Town Centre to Primaris Retail REIT
555 Carrière Holdings Acquires Gatineau Office Tower and Secures Financing from OMERS