Lawyer Profile Detail
AREA OF EXPERTISE
Sean Griffin is a partner in our Litigation law group in Montréal.
Mr. Griffin's practice is mainly focused on high profile and complex commercial and corporate litigation. His practice focuses on legal risk management, governance issues and acting on behalf of public companies and players in the securities, financial services and retail industries. Mr. Griffin works primarily to defend financial services and retail institutions, public corporations, officers and directors against various statutory and civil recourses, including consumer, privacy and securities class actions.
Mr. Griffin’s recent experience includes acting on behalf of:
- A Québec based insurance company and fund manager in a consumer class action alleging notably false and/or misleading representations in the sale and distribution of insurance products to the retail market and negligent management;
- Several entities of an important financial group in a consumer class action alleging notably false and/or misleading representations in the sale and distribution of market linked-notes to the retail market and negligent management;
- The auditors of an insolvent public company listed on the TSX in a shareholders’ class action alleging false and/or misleading representations on the primary and secondary markets;
- A former Manulife Insurance Co. D&O in a shareholders’ class action alleging false and/or misleading information on the secondary market;
- An important financial institution and broker in several litigations related to distribution of structured products in the retail and institutional market;
- The D&Os of a public biotechnology company listed on the TSX in a securities class action alleging violation of their fiduciary duties and their duties to shareholders;
- A risk management consultant in a commercial arbitration with respect to investments in off-shore accounts and off-shore funds of hedge funds;
- A major telecommunication company in multi-million-dollar claims and injunctive proceedings for alleged negligence in the management of satellite signal piracy;
- A public issuer in the context of a claim of negligent whistle-blowing to regulatory authorities; and
- A financial institution in the context of a privacy related class action arising out of the loss and/or stolen computers containing personal information.
Mr. Griffin studied philosophy and English literature at McGill University in Montréal. He did his Master's degree studies in philosophy at Université Laval in Québec City and the University of Beirut in Lebanon. He completed his civil law degree at Université Laval as well as Université Panthéons-Assas in Paris. Mr. Griffin received his Bachelor of Civil Law degree (LLB) in 2006 and was called to the Québec Bar in 2007.