Lawyer Profile Detail
Rosemarie Wertschek, Q.C.
University of British Columbia
British Columbia, 1976
BiographyRosemarie Wertschek, Q.C.* is a partner in the Vancouver office practising in the Tax Group.
Her practice focuses on tax planning for both national and international clients. Areas of specialization include tax-related aspects of mergers and acquisitions, corporate reorganizations and financial structuring. Ms. Wertschek also represents clients with respect to proposed reassessments and tax appeals.
In 2009, Ms. Wertschek received the Lexpert Zenith Award which honours a select group of leading women lawyers in business law, or those who have led in the business of law. In 2012, Ms. Wertschek received the Best in Tax Dispute Resolution Award at Legal Media Group’s Americas’ Women in Business Law Awards.
Ms. Wertschek is featured in numerous publications such as:
- 2015 Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, a guide to the leading law firms and practitioners in Canada, as a leading lawyer in the area of corporate tax;
- 2015 Chambers Global: The World’s Leading Lawyers for Business as a leading lawyer in the area of tax law;
- 2014 The Best Lawyers in Canada, in the area of tax law, as well as Tax Law Lawyer of the Year (Vancouver);
- 2014 ExpertGuides Guide to the World’s Leading Tax Advisers as one of the world’s leading Tax Advisers;
- 2013 The Best Lawyers in Canada, in the area of tax law;
- 2010 Lexpert/The American Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada in the area of corporate tax;
- 2010 Lexpert/Guide to the Leading US/Canada Cross-Border Corporate Lawyers in Canada in the area of corporate tax;
- 2008 Guide to the World’s Leading Tax Advisers; and
- 2005 International Tax Review, as one of Canada’s leading advisors in mergers and acquisitions.
Ms. Wertschek has appeared as a lecturer at numerous conferences, seminars and courses and authored many papers and articles on a wide range of tax and corporate subjects for the Canadian Tax Foundation and the International Bar Association, as well as other organizations and publications. She is a member of the Canadian Tax Foundation, the International Fiscal Association and a former member of the CBA/CICA Joint Committee on Taxation.
Ms. Wertschek received her BA (Hons.) in 1971 and her LLB in 1975, both from the University of British Columbia and was named Queen’s Counsel in 1999.
*denotes Law Corporation
The Fifth Protocol to the Canada-US Tax Convention (1980) - Relief comes at a Cost
McCarthy Tétrault lawyers named as leading women in business law
McCarthy Tétrault lawyers named Lawyer of the Year in The Best Lawyers in Canada
McCarthy Tétrault Partner Rosemarie Wertschek, Q.C. Honoured as a "Leading Woman Lawyer" with Lexpert Zenith Award
McCarthy Tétrault Elects Three New Board Directors
Tax Incentive: Partner Rosemarie Wertschek, Q.C. Returns to McCarthy Tétrault's Tax Group
Transactions & Cases
Advent International acquires lululemon stake for US$845 million
JHI Investment, TPG Capital and Oaktree Capital complete US$1.15 billion acquisition of Taylor Morrison and Monarch Homes
Intrawest ULC completes C$618 million sale of a 75% interest in partnerships that operate Whistler Blackcomb
Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan & Victorian Funds Management acquire 48.25% of Birmingham International Airport
lululemon completes US and Canadian initial public offering
Anglo American establishes US$1.425 billion partnership in Pebble Copper-Gold-Molybdenum Project with Northern Dynasty
Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan acquires four marine container terminals from Orient Overseas Limited
Fortress acquires Intrawest through a US$2.8 billion plan of arrangement
Royal Bank of Canada and RBC Capital Trust complete $1.2 billion offering