Lawyer Profile Detail
Sarah W. Corman
AREA OF EXPERTISE
University of Toronto
Sarah Corman is a partner in our Litigation Group in Toronto. She carries on a general litigation practice with particular emphasis on business disputes, class actions, medical malpractice and product liability.
Ms. Corman has practised litigation at McCarthy Tétrault since her call to the Ontario bar in 2004. She has appeared before the Supreme Court of Canada, the Court of Appeal for Ontario, the Ontario Superior Court of Justice, the Ontario Court of Justice, and various administrative tribunals. She has also acted as counsel in complex commercial arbitration matters.
Ms. Corman is a member of the National Class Actions Group and defends corporations in class proceedings involving price-fixing allegations, securities litigation and product liability issues. She is also a member of the Global Mining Litigation Practice Group, assisting mining companies with contract, negligence and environmental claims. She is also a member of the Securities Litigation Group and specializes in defending dealer firms and regulated professionals in Investment Industry Regulatory Organization of Canada (IIROC) and Mutual Fund Dealers Association (MFDA) enforcement proceedings.
Ms. Corman is an Adjunct Professor in the Competitive Mooting Program and a member of the Faculty in the Trial Advocacy Course at the University of Toronto Faculty of Law. In 2012, she received the University of Toronto Faculty of Law Wilson-Prichard Award for professional excellence and community service and in 2010 received an Arbor Award for her volunteer service to the University of Toronto.
Ms. Corman received her BA (Hons.) in Philosophy and History from Queen’s University in 2000 and her JD from the University of Toronto in 2003. She articled as a law clerk for the Chief Justice and the Judges of the Ontario Superior Court of Justice. She also received her LLM with a Specialization in Civil Litigation and Dispute Resolution from Osgoode Hall Law School in 2008.
Ms. Corman is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Advocates’ Society, the Canadian Bar Association, and the Ontario Bar Association. She is a past member of the Executive of the Civil Litigation Section of the Ontario Bar Association.
- Co-author, Defending Class Actions in Canada: A Guide for Defendants, 4th Edition (Toronto: LexisNexis), 2015
- Co-author with Christine Wadsworth, "Recent Developments in Competition Private Actions" Annual Review of Civil Litigation (Carswell), 2014
- Co-author with Shaun Finn, "The Impact of the Indirect Purchaser Trilogy" CCCA Magazine, Spring 2014
- "Arbitration Clauses: Drafting for Cost Control", CCCA Magazine, Winter 2013
- "Supreme Court Releases the Indirect Purchaser Trilogy" The Canadian Bar Association’s Business and Corporate Newsletter, December 2013
- "The New Landscape for Competition Private Actions," Annual Review of Civil Litigation (Carswell), 2009
Transactions & Cases
Court refuses to assume jurisdiction over foreign class members in Airia Brands Inc v Air Canada