Lawyer Profile Detail
AREA OF EXPERTISE
Louis-Nicolas Boulanger is a partner in our Business Law Group in Montréal. His practice focuses on mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, project finance and general corporate and commercial transactions in the power, mining and infrastructure sectors.
Mr. Boulanger appears in the most recent edition of the Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, a guide to the leading law firms and practitioners in Canada, as a leading lawyer in the areas of energy law (electricity) and project finance.
He has acted for numerous Canadian and international purchasers, vendors, investors, developers and lenders in connection with energy projects (including wind, hydro and co-generation power projects), mining projects and infrastructure projects in Quebec, Canada and around the world. His recent mandates include:
- Acting for Champion Iron Limited and Quebec Iron Ore Inc. in connection with the approximately USD$300 million financing for the restart of the Bloom Lake iron ore mine near Fermont, Québec, from Cliffs Natural Resources.
- Acting for Gaz Métro Plus in its C$25.8 million acquisition of Veolia North America’s participation in CDH Solutions & Operations Limited Partnership, owner of the CCUM urban thermal energy network in Montréal.
- Acting for Invenergy Wind LLC in connection with its $2 billion sale of a portfolio of US and Canadian wind projects with a combined installed capacity of 930 MW to TerraForm Power.
- Acting for Champion Iron Limited in connection with its acquisition of the Bloom Lake iron-ore mine near Fermont, Québec, from Cliffs Natural Resources.
- Acting for Enbridge Inc. in connection with various transactions, acquisitions and joint ventures, including its recent acquisition from EDF Énergies Nouvelles of a 50% interest in three wind projects off the coast of France with a combined installed capacity of 1,425 MW.
- Acting for a consortium in connection with the implementation of the joint venture, development and financing of the 74.8 MW Roncevaux wind project in Gaspésie, Québec.
- Acting for Nemaska Lithium in connection with Johnson Matthey Battery Materials’ financing of the Phase 1 Plant of its mining project and hydromet plant located in Shawinigan, Québec.
- Acting for the Huron-Wendat Nation in connection with the acquisition of an undivided interest in the Rivière-du-Moulin wind farm with an installed capacity of 350 MW.
Mr. Boulanger is also the Chair of the Board of Directors of the Théâtre de la Banquette arrière, a non-profit theatre company performing in Montréal and across Quebec.
Mr. Boulanger received his LLB from Université Laval in 2004. He articled at the firm and was called to the Québec Bar in 2006.
Quebec Introduces An Act respecting the Société du Plan Nord
Québec Publishes Final Regulation Regarding 450-MW Wind Power Block
Québec’s New Regulation Regarding the Procurement of 450 MW of Wind Power
Québec Tables New Mining Act Bill
Québec Bill to Prohibit Certain Shale Natural Gas Exploration and Production Activities
Québec’s New 800 MW Wind Power Procurement
Transactions & Cases
Champion announces Closing of Financing Arrangements for approximately C$300 Million
Nemaska Lithium Inc. and Johnson Matthey Battery Materials Ltd. signed an agreement for a $12M Up-Front Payment for the Phase 1 Plant
Québec Iron Ore Inc. and Champion Iron Mines Limited purchase the Bloom Lake Mine and related rail and mining assets from Cliffs Natural Resources Inc.
Invenergy Completes C$2B Sale of 832 MW of Wind Power to TerraForm Power
Innergex Renewable and MRC de Rivière-du-Loup close C$61.7 million financing for wind energy project
Eolectric Club and Fiera Axium Infrastructure Canada complete Vents du Kempt wind power project financing
EDF EN Canada and Enbridge acquire 300 MW Blackspring Ridge wind project
Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec completes US$500 million investment in 13 operating wind farms
La Coop fédérée, Investissement Québec and Indian Farmers Fertiliser Cooperative to invest C$1.2 billion in IFFCO Canada
Invenergy completes the project financing for Phase 1 of the Des Moulins wind farm project