Lawyer Profile Detail
AREA OF EXPERTISE
Annie Gagnon-Larocque is a partner in our Real Property and Planning Group in Montréal.
Ms. Gagnon-Larocque represents and advises clients on a variety of transactions notably real estate acquisitions, real estate financings, property development, commercial leasing, and joint venture transactions. She represents financial institutions and public and private companies in the senior housing, retail and hotel industries.
Most recently, Ms. Gagnon-Larocque has represented:
- the joint venture between Réseau Sélection and Revera Inc. in the acquisition of three properties in the Greater Montréal Area, and related financing;
- the joint venture between Réseau Sélection and Revera Inc. for numerous construction loan facilities as part of Réseau Sélection’s five-year investment plan to build 30 new residential complexes for Québec seniors;
- GE Capital Corporation in the sale of the Canadian component of its global real estate equity assets and commercial real estate loans to subsidiaries of The Blackstone Group and Wells Fargo Bank, N.A. for the approximate value of US$26 billion;
- Simon Property Group Inc., in their joint venture with Calloway Real Estate Investment Trust and SmartCentres for the acquisition of the site for the development of a second Premium Outlet Centre in Canada;
- Canadian and foreign financial institutions in the financing of the acquisition of large real estate assets, including multi-residential apartment complexes, industrial, commercial and office properties;
- Shell Canada Products for the sale of 236 Shell Branded retail stations and convenience food stores in Québec and the Maritimes to Sobeys;
- to clients from various industries, including the technology, and food and services industries, in connection with the drafting and negotiating of leases.
Ms. Gagnon-Larocque has been recognized by Legal 500 Canada 2016 – Real Estate as "exceptional". She appears in the current edition of Chambers Canada as an up-and-coming lawyer in the area of Real Estate. She was also named Student and Articling Student Mentor of the Year for 2009.
Ms. Gagnon-Larocque is a regular speaker at conferences in the real estate industry. More recently, she authored "Mixed-Use Development: A Balancing Act", on the blog The Lay of the Land and was a speaker at the 2016 McCarthy Tétrault Continuing Professional Development Day: on the topic of "Mixed use of co-ownership. Merchants and residents: how to ensure a peaceful cohabitation!". She was a speaker at the May 2016 – Forum avancé sur les aspects juridiques, financiers et d’affaires des Baux commerciaux – Les baux pour des usages alternatifs dans les centres commerciaux (incluant les pop-up stores) et les locaux de "co-working" dans les immeubles à bureaux (Advanced Forum on Leasing – Leases for alternative spaces in shopping centres and co-working spaces in office buildings and speaker at the 2014 – Forum Leadership pour avocates et conseillères juridiques – Improving Your Networking Abilities to Help You Develop Better & More Strategic Business Relationships (Leadership Forum for women lawyers and legal counsels).
Ms. Gagnon-Larocque was President of CREW Montréal (Commercial Real Estate Women) from 2012 to 2014 and sat on the board of directors as Financing and Sponsorship Director. She was a finalist in the Rising Star category at the 2009 and 2010 Evening of Excellence. She is also a member of CREW Montreal, ICSC, the Urban Development Institute and the Canadian Bar Association.
Ms. Gagnon-Larocque received her BA degree with specialization in French Literature and Translation from McGill University in 1999 and her integrated BCL/LLB degree from McGill University in 2002. She was called to the Quebec Bar in 2003.
McCarthy Tétrault Congratulates Winners of Annual Mentoring Awards
Transactions & Cases
Bank of China, Toronto Branch Completes C$150M Financing of the Centre Rockland
Great West Life, London Life and Investors Real Property Fund purchase iconic property in Montréal from KanAm Grund Group
Réseau Sélection JV acquires three properties in the Greater Montréal Area
GE Capital sells Real Estate Portfolio to Blackstone and Wells Fargo
Réseau Sélection invests $2 billion to build 30 new projects in Quebec
Leon's completes C$700 million acquisition of The Brick
TD Bank completes C$80 miillion loan to Dundee Industrial REIT for the acquisition of an industrial portfolio
Simon Property Group, Calloway REIT and SmartCentres acquire site for Premium Outlet
Kraft Canada completes US$76.2 billion separation into a North American grocery business and global snack business, Mondelez International
GE Capital Real Estate completes sale of 68 real estate assets to Cominar REIT