Lawyer Profile Detail
AREA OF EXPERTISE
+44 (0)20 7786 5747
University of Witwatersrand
British Columbia, 2003
South Africa, 1997
Roger Taplin is a partner in McCarthy Tétrault’s Business Law Group and is the co-leader of the Global Mining Group. His practice is primarily focused on the areas of mergers and acquisitions (M&A) and securities, particularly in the mining sector.
Roger’s experience includes advising on significant mining M&A transactions, including friendly and hostile takeover bids, business combinations, share or asset sales and joint ventures. He acts for issuers and underwriters on public and private securities offerings as well as providing general securities regulatory and corporate advice to public companies. He has acted for mining clients and banks in relation to sizeable mining projects in numerous international jurisdictions.
Roger is consistently recognized in several prominent legal directories and guides including Chambers Global and Chambers Canada, both listing him in their current editions as a leading lawyer in the area of mining. He is also listed as leading lawyer in the current editions of The Best Lawyers in Canada in the area of M&A law, in The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory in the areas of corporate mid-market and mining, and in The Legal 500 – Canada in the area of mining. He is also listed as one of the world’s leading mining lawyers by Who’s Who Legal in the current editions of their Who’s Who Legal Canada and Who’s Who Legal Mining sections. He was also named by Who’s Who Legal as one of the world’s Thought Leaders in Mining in 2017.
For the sixth consecutive year, Roger received the Client Choice Award for his leadership in energy and natural resource law in British Columbia from International Law Office’s (ILO) Lexology 2017 Client Choice Awards. He also received the 2012 Client Choice Award for Energy & Natural Resources in Canada from International Law Office (ILO). He is a fellow of the Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation and a member of the Mining Law Committee of the International Bar Association.
Prior to joining McCarthy Tétrault in May, 2003, Roger was a partner at Deneys Reitz Attorneys in Johannesburg, South Africa. During 1998, he was seconded to Slaughter and May solicitors in London, U.K. as a visiting lawyer. He received a BA in Political Science (cum laude) and Law in 1992, and his LLB in 1994 (cum laude) from the University of the Witwatersrand.
Roger was called to the British Columbia bar in 2003, and was admitted as an attorney of the High Court of South Africa in 1997.
Recent representative transactions that Roger has acted on include:
- Advising Shell Canada in its C$11.5 billion disposition of 50% interest in the Athabasca Oil Sands Project and 100% of its interest in the Peace River Complex in-situ oilsands assets to Canadian Natural Resources Ltd. and concurrent US$2.5 billion co-acquisition with CNRL of Marathon Oil Canada Corporation;
- Lead counsel to Royal Gold, Inc. in restructuring of its streaming interest in the Mount Milligan Mine related to Centerra Gold Inc.'s US$1.1 billion acquisition of Thompson Creek Metals Company Inc.;
- Lead counsel to Goldcorp in its acquisition of a 50% interest in the Cerro Casale project from Kinross Gold Corporation and Barrick Gold Corporation and the formation of a 50/50 regional joint venture with Barrick over the Cerro Casale, Quebrada Seca and Caspiche projects in Chile's Maricunga district;
- Lead counsel to Glencore plc in the in the sale of its 80% interest in the Rosh Pinah mine in Namibia and 90% interest in the Perkoa mine in Burkina Faso to Trevali Mining for aggregate consideration of US$400 million in cash and shares;
- Lead counsel to Goldcorp in the sale of its Los Filos Mine in Mexico to Leagold Mining Corporation for aggregate consideration of US$438 million in cash and shares;
- Lead counsel to Milpo in its US$250 million silver stream transaction with respect to the Cerro Lindo mine in Peru with Triple Flag Mining;
- Lead counsel to Taseko Mines on its U$33 million silver stream transaction with respect to the Gibraltar Mine with Osisko Gold Royalties;
- Lead counsel to Glencore plc on the sale of a gold and silver stream in the Antapaccay mine in Peru to Franco-Nevada for US$500 million and certain ongoing payments;
- Lead counsel to Glencore plc on the sale of a silver stream in the Antamina Mine in Peru to Silver Wheaton for US$900 million and certain ongoing payments;
- Lead counsel to Goldcorp on the formation of the $3.5billion Corridor joint venture with Teck Resources Limited in relation to their respective El Morro and Relincho projects in Chile, including the concurrent acquisition by Goldcorp of New Gold’s 30% interest in the El Morro project for US$90 million and a 4% gold stream on future gold production;
- Lead counsel to Anglo American plc in their option and joint venture agreement with Avannaa Resources Ltd. concerning a copper exploration project in Jameson Land, Greenland;
- Lead counsel to Northcliff Resources Ltd. in its C$19 million investment agreement with Todd Minerals Ltd. with respect to Northcliff Resources Ltd.’s Sisson tungsten-molybdenum project in New Brunswick, Canada by way of a private placement by Todd in Northcliff Resources Ltd. and the formation of a limited partnership between the parties;
- Lead counsel to Quintana Resources in their investment by way of a private placement of secured and unsecured convertible notes of up to C$10 million in Western Pacific Resources and a related C$8.5 million base metals streaming arrangement;
- Lead counsel to Anglo American plc in their joint venture agreement with Altius Mineral Corporation relating to an investment of up to C$20 million by Anglo American in Altius’ Natashquan nickel-copper-cobalt-platinum-palladium project in southern Labrador, Canada;
- Lead counsel to Silvercorp Metals Inc. in relation to its sale of its Silvertip silver-lead-zinc property in British Columbia and related assets to an arm’s length private Canadian company for C$15.1 million and a 2.5% Net Smelter Royalty;
- Counsel to Rio Tinto plc in connection with their interest in Ivanhoe Mines Ltd. and in relation to the US$7 billion Oyu Tolgoi copper/gold project in Mongolia;
- Lead counsel to the special committee of Continental Minerals in relation to their C$447 million acquisition by Jinchuan Group Ltd.;
- Lead Canadian counsel to Anooraq Resources in their acquisition of controlling interest in Lebowa Platinum Mine in South Africa from Anglo Platinum for C$400 million and related financings;
- Lead Canadian counsel to China Minmetals Nonferrous Metals in its acquisition of OZ Minerals for C$1.69 billion;
- Lead Canadian counsel to Anglo American plc in their acquisition of Anglo Ferrous Brazil S.A. from MMX for US$5.5 billion;
- Canadian counsel to a syndicate of underwriters in First Quantum Minerals’ completion of a C$345 million overnight marketed public offering;
- Lead counsel to Anglo American plc in its US$1.425 billion acquisition of a 50% interest in the Pebble Project Partnership in Alaska with Northern Dynasty Minerals Limited;
- Lead counsel to Gold Fields Ltd. on the sale to Orezone Resources of their interest in the Essakane Joint Venture in Burkino Faso for US$200 million and a 12.2% interest in Orezone;
- Lead counsel to Anglo American plc on the US$140 million sale of its 40% interest in the Lobo-Marte gold project in Chile to Kinross Gold Corporation;
- Lead counsel to Gold Fields Ltd. on the formation of its joint venture with Orsu Metals Corporation for the development of the Talas project in Kyrgyzstan;
- Lead counsel to Anglo American plc on the C$173 million formation of the Peace River Coal Limited Partnership in British Columbia and related mining and exploration projects;
- Lead counsel to Heatherdale Resources on the formation of the Niblack joint venture in Alaska with Committee Bay Resources;
- Lead counsel to Curis Resources on the acquisition of the Florence Copper project in Arizona;
- Lead counsel to Constantia Resources on the US$60 million acquisition of a strategic interest in European Nickel plc and the development of the Caldag project in Turkey; and
- Lead counsel to Gold Fields Ltd. in relation to the formation of the Woodjam joint venture in British Columbia.
Mergers & Acquisitions in a More Uncertain World: Using the Companies’ Creditors Arrangement Act
The Differing Perspectives of Junior and Major Mining Companies in Joint Ventures
TMX and LSE Merger: What Does it Mean for our Clients and Friends?
Mining Law Update: Bill C-300
BCSC Facilitates Fast-Track Mining Financings: Pre-Filing Review of Mining Technical Disclosure
IFRS Early Adoption Exemption Application — Rationale, Requirements and Process
Disclosure of Material Changes in the Context of Mining Rights Held by an Issuer
Defusing mining and other foreign investment disputes in foreign lands
Disclosure of Material Changes in the Context of Mining Rights held by an Issuer
Confidentiality Agreements: Do You Know What You Are Agreeing To?
McCarthy Tétrault publishes seventh edition of Mining in the Courts
A record number of Client Choice Awards for McCarthy Tétrault partners
Two Client Choice Awards for McCarthy Tétrault partners
McCarthy Tétrault partners receive Lexology Client Choice Awards
McCarthy Tétrault is recognized in Chambers Latin America 2015
McCarthy Tétrault lawyers recognized with Lexology Client Choice Awards
McCarthy Tétrault’s mining expertise is "very much in demand"
McCarthy Tétrault is recognized in Chambers Latin America 2014
McCarthy Tétrault is honoured with four Lexology Client Choice Awards
McCarthy Tétrault’s Roger Taplin wins Client Choice Award from International Law Office
Transactions & Cases
Glencore plc sells its interests in the Rosh Pinah mine in Namibia and the Perkoa mine in Burkina Faso
Goldcorp and Barrick form a significant 50/50 regional joint venture over the Cerro Casale, Quebrada Seca and Caspiche projects in Chile's Maricunga district
Royal Gold Expands Revolving Credit Facility and Pays Down another US$50 million of Debt
Shell divests oil sands interests in Canada in C$11.1B transaction
Goldcorp completes US$450M sale of Los Filos Mine
Taseko closes Gibraltar Mine Silver Stream
Compañía Minera Milpo and Triple Flag Mining Finance announce US$250M silver stream transaction on Cerro Lindo Mine
Rubicon Minerals announces completion of restructuring transaction
Centerra Gold Inc. completes US$1.1B acquisition of Thompson Creek Metals Company Inc.
Franco-Nevada to acquire a precious metals stream from Glencore for US$500M