Lawyer Profile Detail
Seán C. O'Neill
AREA OF EXPERTISE
University of Toronto
Seán O’Neill is a partner in our Business Law Group in Toronto with a practice focussed on the power industry.
Mr. O’Neill has significant experience representing acquirers, investors and developers of a variety of generation assets, including nuclear, hydroelectric, landfill gas, wind, solar and biomass. He has assisted financial institutions and borrowers on project financings of renewable energy projects across Canada and in the US. He regularly negotiates commercial arrangements in the sector, including power purchase agreements, service contracts and conservation and demand management agreements. He has negotiated power purchase agreements and contracts for differences representing over 800 TWh of electrical energy.
Mr. O’Neill is recognized as a leading lawyer in the area of energy in the following directories and publications: Best Lawyers in Canada, Chambers Global, Chambers Canada, Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, International Who's Who of Energy Lawyers, and Who's Who Legal: Canada.
Mr. O’Neill’s experience in the power industry includes acting for:
- a Canadian pipeline company in the negotiation of a clean energy supply contract with the Ontario Power Authority and shared site arrangements with Ontario Power Generation Inc. in respect of a 900 megawatt replacement gas-fired power project in eastern Ontario
- an international mining company in the sale of a 51% interest and negotiation of a $150 million development funding commitment in respect of a proposed 1,000 megawatt hydro-electric generation facility in Chile
- an international forest products company in respect of a stapled long-term embedded generation PPA and regulatory consents arising from the company's sale of eight hydro-electric generation facilities in Ontario
- the Ontario Power Authority in the release of the 2011 to 2014 Province-wide conservation and demand management program
- the lenders in the refinancing and construction financing, respectively, of the 40 and 50 megawatt phases of a wind farm in Ontario
- the lenders in a $175 million project financing of a 144 megawatt wind farm, British Columbia’s largest
- a global private equity investor in its investments in several clean tech companies
- the acquirer of nuclear power developer in the Province of Alberta
- the lenders in a $470 million 38-year senior secured project financing of a 198 megawatt run-of-river facility in British Columbia
- acquirers of several Canadian wind power developers and projects in the provinces of Québec, Nova Scotia, Alberta and Ontario
- the divestiture by a Canadian income fund of its interests in 29 landfill gas facilities in eight US states
- the acquirer of an Ontario independent power producer operating four hydro-electric facilities in Ontario and the subsequent divestiture of one of the facilities
- an independent power producer in its negotiation of a contract for differences supporting the $6 billion refurbishment and restart of four nuclear generation units
- the lenders in the provision of secured and unsecured credit facilities to several large Ontario municipal electricity utilities, the syndication of a secured acquisition facility to a major Ontario independent power producer and the refinancing of the senior and subordinated debt for six wind power projects in the United States
- Canada’s first income fund to be certified under the Environmental Choice Program in its acquisition of four hydro-electric facilities
- the acquirer in the first private acquisition of a nuclear generating facility in Canada
- the controlling shareholder in the commercialization of Canada’s largest district energy company.
Mr. O’Neill received his B.Comm. from the University of Alberta in 1987 and his JD from the University of Toronto in 1995. He was called to the Ontario bar in 1997.
Transactions & Cases
Chaudière Hydro L.P. completes C$203.8M bond offering
Samsung Renewable Energy completes sale of its equity interest in K2 Wind to the Axium Consortium
Muskrat Falls project secures C$5 billion global bond financing
ABW Solar General Partnership completes C$200 million solar farm acquisition and financing
Samsung and Pattern Energy Group announce the start of construction of the C$800 million South Kent Wind project
GDF SUEZ Canada completes C$1.1 billion reorganization and project financing
TransCanada Energy enters arrangements for replacement gas-fired electrical generating station
Xstrata Copper completes sale of majority stake in Chile Hydro Project to Origin Energy
Stonebridge Financial completes financing of a 31.5 MW wind farm in Nova Scotia
AbitibiBowater completes C$640 million sale of its 75% indirect interest in ACH Limited Partnership