Lawyer Profile Detail
AREA OF EXPERTISE
University of Western Ontario
Grant Buchanan is a partner in our Business Law Group in Toronto.
He is an experienced communications lawyer who has focused his practice on broadcast and telecom regulation and Copyright Board work. Mr. Buchanan has a broad understanding of the communications industry, related agreements and the framework for broadcast and telecom regulation and financing.
He was with WIC Western International Communications Ltd. for 12 years, primarily as Vice-President, Corporate and Regulatory Affairs. Mr. Buchanan is well-known and highly respected in the communications industry. Prior to his work at WIC, he was with The Bank of Nova Scotia for seven years.
Mr. Buchanan’s experience includes:
- counsel to BCE Inc. in its acquisition of 100% of Astral Media Inc., of 85% of CTVglobemedia Inc. and other regulatory matters;
- counsel to Goldman Sachs in its investment with CanWest Global for the acquisition of Alliance Atlantis Communications Inc. and in Goldman Sachs’ subsequent sale of its interest to Shaw to Communications Inc.;
- counsel to Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment with respect to its sale to a corporation jointly controlled by BCE Inc. and Rogers Communications Inc.;
- counsel to High Fidelity Inc. in respect of its acquisition by Blue Ant Media Inc.;
- counsel to Blue Ant Media Inc. in respect of its acquisition of Glassbox Television Inc. and other regulatory matters;
- counsel to numerous non-Canadian broadcasters, including the PRC’s national broadcaster (CCTV), Televisa, RAI, BBC, Phoenix and others in their successful bids for entry into Canada;
- counsel to Ontario Ministry of Culture and Ontario Media Development Corporation in CRTC’s New Media and other proceedings;
- counsel to Sony Pictures Entertainment Inc. with respect to its investment in two Canadian broadcasting licensees;
- counsel to Directors Guild of Canada in numerous regulatory proceedings;
- President of Canadian Broadcasters Rights Agency Inc., a copyright collective since 1991;
- counsel to The Score Television Network Inc. in respect of its sale to Rogers Media Inc. and numerous regulatory proceedings;
- counsel to Saudi Communications Commission in establishing a new telecom regulatory regime in Saudi Arabia;
- counsel to icebergmedia.com in the Copyright Board’s Internet proceeding;
- counsel to Sirius Canada Inc. in a consolidated rate-setting case before the Copyright Board;
- counsel to various radio broadcasters, including Aboriginal Voices Radio Inc., Standard Radio Inc., Astral Media Radio, Ryerson Radio Inc., Bayshore Broadcasting Corp., Intercity Broadcasting Network and Newcap Radio in connection with regulatory applications and filings;
- counsel to Glassbox Television Inc. regarding its application for new licences and other CRTC proceedings, including its acquisition of travel + escape from CTV;
- counsel to Craig Media with respect to a successful application for Toronto conventional television licence and subsequent sale to CHUM Limited;
- counsel to Vision TV in connection with its licence renewal, rate increase applications, various regulatory issues and its sale to ZoomerMedia Limited;
- counsel to Ledcor Industries Limited with respect to various fibre issues;
- counsel to World Wrestling Entertainment regarding regulatory matters;
- counsel to Pelmorex Communications Inc. in connection with various regulatory proceedings;
- counsel to the Vancouver Olympics Committee with respect to music royalties;
- counsel to Sirius Satellite Radio Inc. and Sirius Canada Inc. in connection with the negotiation of Shareholders’ and Licensing agreements and the preparation of the CRTC application for the licensing of satellite radio in Canada.
Mr. Buchanan is listed in the 2014 edition of Chambers Global: The World’s Leading Lawyers for Business as a leading lawyer in the area of telecommunications and broadcasting. He is also listed in the 2015 Lexpert/American Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada, the 2014 Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, a guide to the leading law firms and practitioners in Canada, as a leading lawyer in the area of telecommunications, in the 2015 edition of Best Lawyers in Canada, in the area of Communications Law, in Who’s Who Legal Canada 2014 in Information Technology and in 2015 Euromoney’s Guide to the World’s Leading Technology, Media & Telecommunications Lawyers. Mr. Buchanan received the 2015 Lexology Client Choice Award for his outstanding telecommunications work in Ontario.
Mr. Buchanan received his Licence ès Lettres from La Sorbonne in 1974, and his LLB from the University of Western Ontario in 1978. He was called to the Ontario bar in 1980.
Mr. Buchanan is fluent in English and French and has a working knowledge of Spanish.
User’s Guide to Canadian Copyright Tariffs
Regulatory Guide to Canadian Television (7th Edition, 2014)
Canadian Broadcasting Regulatory Handbook (12th Edition, 2014)
Changes to Foreign Ownership Regulations and Impact on Competition and Consumers
Canadian Government Relaxes Telecom Foreign Ownership Restrictions and Sets Rules for 700 MHz Spectrum Auction
Regulatory Guide to Canadian Radio (3rd edition, 2012)
New Developments in Communications Law and Policy
Regulatory Framework for Vertical Integration
Changing Foreign Ownership Rules: Impact, Risk and Opportunity Moderator
CRTC Policy on Exclusive Program Rights
McCarthy Tétrault partners receive Lexology Client Choice Awards
McCarthy Tétrault publishes User’s Guide to Canadian Copyright Tariffs
McCarthy Tétrault releases four new editions of communications law and policy handbooks
McCarthy Tétrault Achieves Successful Outcome for Globalive Wireless
Transactions & Cases
Fairfax Financial acquirers control of Temple Street Productions
Orbcomm to acquire Skywave Mobile Communications for US$130 million
Shaw Communications closes C$800 million offering of senior notes
Bell Media completes C$3.38 billion acquisition of Astral Media
Score Media completes C$167 million sale to Rogers Media
High Fidelity HDTV completes C$85 million sale to Blue Ant Media
The Supreme Court of Canada dismisses Public Mobile's application for leave to appeal
Sirius Canada completes C$500 million merger with XM Canada
Globalive Wireless successful in Federal Court of Appeal, confirming right to operate in Canada
Shaw Communications completes C$300 million rate reset preferred share offering