Lawyer Profile Detail
Graham P.C. Gow
University of Windsor
Graham Gow is a partner in our Business Law Group in Toronto. His practice focuses on mergers and acquisitions, corporate finance and corporate governance matters.
Recent public company merger and acquisition transactions in which Mr. Gow has been involved include the following:
- competing bids by Kingsett Capital and H&R REIT for Primaris REIT;
- competing takeover bids by London Stock Exchange and Maple Group (a consortium of 13 Canadian banks, pension funds and other institutions) to purchase the Toronto Stock Exchange and the Montreal Exchange;
- competing bids by Royal Gold and Franco Nevada to acquire International Royalty Corporation;
- competing bids by Callisto Capital and Schlegal Holdings to purchase Homewood;
- competing takeover bids by Xstrata plc and Norilsk Nickel for LionOre Nickel;
- hostile takeover bid by Central African Mining & Exploration Company PLC for Katanga Mining Ltd.;
- Scotiabank’s investment in Dundee Wealth Inc.;
- GE’s investment in Dundee REIT;
- Acquisition of Draxis Health Inc. by Jubilant Organosys Ltd.;
- cross-border merger of BFI Canada and IESI Corporation;
- cross–border merger of Bumble Bee Seafood and Connors Bros. Income Fund;
- contested takeover bids for Canada Life by Manulife and Great West Life;
- contested bid by Inwest Investments Ltd. for Drug Royalty Corporation Inc.;
- contested bids by Future Shop and Trilogy for Chapters Inc.;
- contested bid by Rio Tinto for the Labrador Iron Ore Royalty Income Fund; and
- contested bids by Noranda Inc. and Billiton plc for Rio Algom Ltd.
Mr. Gow regularly acts for public companies in connection with M&A transactions. He advises management, the Board of Directors and Special Committees of the Board.
Mr. Gow also acts for both corporate issuers of securities and for the underwriters/investors in public financings.
Mr. Gow is one of the original contributing editors to Securities Law and Practice. Mr. Gow is a past member of the Securities Law Subcommittee of the Law Society of Upper Canada. He is listed in The Best Lawyers in Canada in the field of corporate law, securities law and mergers & acquisitions law. He also appears in the most recent edition of The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, a guide to the leading law firms and practitioners in Canada, as a leading practitioner in the area of corporate commercial law, corporate finance and securities, corporate mid-market, mining, private equity and M&A. He is listed as a leading lawyer in the areas of capital markets and corporate in the latest edition of Who's Who Legal: Canada, and as a leading lawyer in the area of corporate and M&A in The Legal 500 - Canada. Mr. Gow is listed in the current edition of Chambers Global: The World’s Leading Lawyers in Business, as a leading lawyer in the area of corporate/M&A, and is also listed in the current edition of Chambers Canada as a leading lawyer in the areas of corporate/commercial.
He teaches a seminar for the advanced securities law program at the University of Windsor and the University of Western Ontario. Mr. Gow sits on the board of directors of Woodbridge Foam Corporation and the WB Family Foundation, and is a former director of the Osler Bluff Ski Club.
Mr. Gow received his BA from the University of Western Ontario and his LLB from the University of Windsor. He was called to the Ontario bar in 1982.
Amendments to Take-Over Bid Rules Will Deliver More Support to Boards
IIROC Releases Final Guidance on Underwriting Due Diligence
Proposed Changes to Takeover Bid Regime in Canada Would Put More Time in the Hands of Target Boards
Fairness Opinions – Important Ontario Court Comment
Underwriting Due Diligence – IIROC Proposed Guidance
OSC Provides Guidance on Use of Rights Plans: Baffinland
How to Handle a "Bear-Hug" Letter
Availability of Exemptions in Related-Party Transactions
OSC Opens the Door to "Just Say No" Defence: Shareholder Rights Plan Maintained in the Face of a Hostile Partial Bid
TSX Overruled — OSC Requires Approval of HudBay Shareholders in Proposed Acquisition of Lundin
Transactions & Cases
Bluesky Hotels and Resorts completes $2.1B acquisition of InnVest REIT
Calloway REIT completes C$100 million Series K senior unsecured debenture offering
Medicago completes C$357 million sale to Mitsubishi Tanabe Pharma
Calloway REIT closes C$150 million Series J senior unsecured debenture offering
Calloway REIT closes C$150 million Series I senior unsecured debenture offering
Primaris REIT completes C$4.6 billion sale to H&R REIT
ShawCor eliminates dual-class share structure by way of plan of agreement
Summit Industrial Income REIT completes issuance of C$75.1 million of units and C$177 million acquisition of real estate assets
Summit Industrial Income REIT completes C$30 million private placement and C$32 million bank financing
Maple Group completes acquisition of TMX Group, CDS and Alpha Group