Profil d'un avocat
CHAMP DE COMPÉTENCE
FACULTÉ DE DROIT
Université de Western Ontario
ADMISSION AU BARREAU
Cette biographie est disponible en anglais seulement.
Leila Rafi is a partner in our Business Law Group in Toronto. She advises on a broad range of corporate and securities law matters, including director and officer indemnification and corporate governance.
Ms. Rafi acts frequently for Canadian public corporations with respect to financings, merger and acquisition transactions and continuous disclosure obligations. Also, Ms. Rafi frequently acts for investment managers and investment dealers in the establishment of investment products and public financing transactions in connection therewith. Ms. Rafi also acts for private corporations with respect to corporate reorganizations and merger and acquisition transactions. In addition, Ms. Rafi has expertise in the gaming industry.
Ms. Rafi is an instructor for the advanced business law course offered by the University of Windsor law school and the January term securities law course offered by the University of Western Ontario law school. She is also the course leader for an annual course offered by Federated Press for legal professionals.
- acted for Epitome group of companies in its sale to DHX Media Ltd. for over $33 million in April, 2014;
- acted for RBC Capital Markets and a syndicate of dealers in respect of Discovery flow-through limited partnership offerings from 2009-2014;
- acted for CIBC World Markets and a syndicate of dealers in respect of MRF flow-through limited partnership offerings from 2009-2014;
- acted for National Bank Financial Inc. and a syndicate of dealers in respect of Front Street flow-through limited partnership offerings from 2009-2014;
- completed a $33 million restructuring of a paper mill in Nova Scotia;
- completed sale by The Bank of Nova Scotia to Element Financial Corporation of private fleet leasing business for $146 million;
- completed a statutory plan of arrangement involving a US public company and a Canadian public company whereby the US public company indirectly acquired all the common shares of the Canadian public company for $292.5 million;
- completed a statutory plan of arrangement involving a public and private company whereby the public company purchased assets of the private company valued at approximately $155 million;
- acted for the underwriters in connection with short-form prospectus offerings by Just Energy Income Fund in 2010 and 2011 for $330 million and $100 million, respectively;
- acted for agents in connection with a short-form prospectus offering by First Quantum Minerals Ltd for $300 million;
- acted for National Bank Financial Inc. and a syndicate of dealers in respect of Front Street flow-through limited partnership offerings from 2009-2012;
- acted for RBC Dominion Securities Inc. and a syndicate of dealers in respect of Discovery flow-through limited partnership offerings from 2009-2012;
- acted for West Face Capital Inc. and MSD Capital, LP as standby purchasers in connection with the recapitalization and US $50 million rights offering by Primary Energy Recycling Corporation;
- acted for OMERS Realty Corporation in relation to its issuance of $170 million 4.75% Series A Dentures due 2016;
- acted for Canadian Tire Bank in its sale of certain assets to National Bank of Canada for approximately $162 million; and
- completed a large internal reorganization of the private Canadian subsidiaries of a US public company that specializes in science and technology.
Ms. Rafi received her BA in Political Science from the University of British Columbia in 2001 and her LLB from the University of Western Ontario in 2005. She was called to the Ontario bar in 2006.
Parus sur nos blogues
Mastering Transactions for Law Clerks and Legal Professionals
Une communication encore insuffisante — Résultats de l’examen de l’information continue par les ACVM pour 2011
Modifications proposées révisées du Règlement 54-101 sur la communication avec les propriétaires véritables de titres d’un émetteur assujetti
La Cour rejette l’appel interjeté par les actionnaires minoritaires dissidents à l’égard du plan d’arrangement de Magna
Conventions d’indemnisation des administrateurs et des dirigeants
Transactions et causes
Léon acquiert The Brick pour 700 millions $ CA.
CanBanc 8 Income Corp. clôt un premier appel public à l’épargne de 40 millions de dollars CA.
La Banque de Nouvelle-Écosse réalise la vente de TLSI Holdings Inc. à Services financiers Élément
Placement de parts de 89 205 475 $ de Société en commandite Front Street 2012-I
Parametric Technology Corporation fait l’acquisition de MKS Inc.
Discovery 2010 Flow-Through Limited Partnership réalise un PAPE de 50 millions de dollars.
Star Portfolio Corp. réalise un premier appel public à l’épargne.
Fiera Sceptre conclut un plan d’arrangement
Northland Power Preferred Equity effectue un placement de 150 M$.
Just Energy Income Fund réalise un appel public à l’épargne visant des débentures convertibles.