Profil d'un avocat
Malcolm M. Mercer
Responsable des affaires juridiques
CHAMP DE COMPÉTENCE
FACULTÉ DE DROIT
Université de Toronto
ADMISSION AU BARREAU
Cette biographie est disponible en anglais seulement.
Malcolm Mercer is a partner in McCarthy Tétrault’s Litigation Group with thirty years in practice. Mr. Mercer also acts as our General Counsel and is the former co-leader of our National Litigation Practice.
Mr. Mercer is a bencher of the Law Society of Upper Canada, Chair of the Law Society Professional Regulation Committee, Past Chair of the Ethics and Professional Responsibility Committee of the Canadian Bar Association, a member of the CBA Task Force on Conflicts of Interest and a member of the National Committee on Accreditation of the Federation of Law Societies of Canada.
In 2013, Mr. Mercer was recognized by the Canadian Bar Association with the prestigious Louis St. Laurent award.
In August 2014, Mr. Mercer was recognized as one of Canada’s Top 25 Most Influential Lawyers by Canadian Lawyer.
Mr. Mercer is a director of Pro Bono Law Ontario and the Victorian Order of Nurses Canada.
Mr. Mercer maintains a civil litigation practice with an emphasis on commercial and corporate matters and professional negligence. Representative engagements include:
- acting in disputes involving confidential commercial information;
- acting for directors and companies with respect to oppression issues and other shareholders rights issues;
- acting for majority and minority shareholders in shareholder disputes in private companies;
- acting in disputes involving banks and bank customers;
- dealing with breach of duty claims against current and departed employees, agents and brokers involved in insurance and mutual fund businesses;
- assisting software companies with respect to software contract and licensing disputes;
- acting for creditors in major CCAA restructurings in various industries;
- advising lenders, developers and owners in respect of significant real estate, development and construction issues;
- advising and acting in respect of allegations of breach of fiduciary duty involving trustees and other fiduciaries; and
- defending professionals in complex negligence actions.
He received his B.Sc., in systems design engineering in 1977, and his LLB from the University of Toronto in 1982. Mr. Mercer was called to the Ontario bar in 1984.
McCarthy Tétrault félicite Malcolm Mercer, qui figure au palmarès des 25 avocats les plus influents du Canada
Le responsable des affaires juridiques de McCarthy Tétrault, Malcolm Mercer, reçoit le Prix d’excellence Louis St-Laurent 2013 de l’Association du Barreau canadien
McCarthy Tétrault obtient gain de cause pour Globalive Wireless
Malcolm Mercer élu au Conseil du Barreau en Ontario
Malcom Mercer, du cabinet McCarthy Tétrault, candidat à l’élection du Conseil du Barreau en Ontario
Transactions et causes
Canadian Overseas Petroleum vend une participation de 80 % dans Liberia Block LB 13 à ExxonMobil.
Canadian Overseas Petroleum acquiert Liberia oil and gas Block LB 13 auprès de Peppercoast Petroleum Plc.
La Cour suprême du Canada a rejeté une demande d’autorisation d’appel de Public Mobile
Shaw Communications acquiert l’entreprise de radiodiffusion de Canwest.
Restructuration financière des activités médias de Camwest
Emerisque Brands UK Limited et SKNL North America, B.V. font l'acquisition de Hartmarx Corporation et Coppley Apparel Ltd