Profil d'un avocat
John W. Boscariol
CHAMP DE COMPÉTENCE
Biens de consommation et commerce de détail
Droit du commerce et de l’investissement international
Sciences de la vie
Technologie et concession de licence
FACULTÉ DE DROIT
Université de Toronto
ADMISSION AU BARREAU
Cette biographie est disponible en anglais seulement.
John W. Boscariol is head of the firm’s International Trade & Investment Law Group and a partner in the Litigation Group.
John advises both private and public sector clients on the application of laws governing foreign investment and the cross-border trade in goods, services and technology. His practice focuses on enforcement and compliance matters regarding anti-corruption laws and policies, economic sanctions and trade embargoes, export, import and technology transfer controls, defence trade controls, blocking measures (Cuba), national security measures, anti-dumping, countervail and safeguard measures, government procurement, and customs and tariffs. He has also developed a recognized expertise in the interpretation and enforcement of international trade and investment protection agreements, such as the agreements of the World Trade Organization, NAFTA, bilateral investment treaties, and regional trade agreements,.
In addition to advising his clients on strategic planning, compliance and enforcement, John regularly deals with various government agencies responsible for the administration of these laws and appears before panels, courts, and tribunals hearing disputes involving international trade and investment matters.
John advises foreign and domestic clients across a wide range of sectors and industries impacted by international trade and investment measures, including financial services, mining, energy, natural resources, oil and gas, pharmaceuticals, clothing and apparel, manufacturing, technology and licensing, software, transportation, defence, food, beverage and other consumer products, biotechnology, public-private partnerships and infrastructure.
In 2014, John was named by Expert Guide’s Best of the Best (Global) as one of the world’s top 30 international trade attorneys. He is also the recipient of the 2014 Global Law Experts Practice Award for International Trade Compliance Lawyer of the Year (Canada) and the 2014 Corporate International Magazine Global Award for International Compliance Lawyer of the Year in Canada. In 2013, he was selected as the International Trade and Finance Lawyer of the Year in Toronto by Best Lawyers in Canada.
In 2012, John received the Canadian Association of Importers and Exporters’ Member of the Year Award for his work with this leading industry organization. He was also selected as the 2013 "International Trade and Finance Lawyer of the Year" in Toronto by Best Lawyers in Canada.
In 2011, based on nominations and recommendations from in-house counsel, John was also selected as the sole recipient of the International Law Office/Association of Corporate Counsel Client Choice Award — Trade and Customs (Canada). The criteria for the award focus on the ability to add real value to clients' business above and beyond the other players in the market. He is the first lawyer in Canada to ever receive this award for work on international trade matters.
Martindale-Hubbell rates John as "AV Preeminent", their "highest level of professional excellence" and Chambers Global ranks him in Tier One for WTO/International Trade. He has also been ranked highly in numerous other national and international directories, including The Lexpert/American Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada, International Who’s Who of Trade and Customs Lawyers, Lexpert Guide to the Leading US/Canada Cross-Border Litigation Lawyers, Expert Guides to the World’s Leading Lawyers – Best of the Best, Lexpert, Euromoney’s Guide to the World’s Leading International Trade Lawyers, and Best Lawyers in Canada.
He has published papers and articles on current trade and investment issues in various business and legal journals, including the Kluwer Global Trade and Customs Journal, Law and Policy in International Business, International Trade Law & Regulation, the Canadian Business Law Journal, the National Banking Law Review, International Business Lawyer, and the Ivey Business Journal.
John is active in the leadership of the American Bar Association Section of International Law, and is currently Division Chair (Public International Law) with responsibility for the Anti-Corruption, Corporate Social Responsibility, Anti-Money Laundering, International Human Rights, and Refugee Law Committees . He is Senior Adviser and Past Co-Chair of the ABA Export Controls and Economic Sanctions Committee. He is also active in Canadian bar associations, including as Past Chair of the Ontario Bar Association International Law Section and as a member of the Canadian Bar Association’s Joint Committee on Anti-Corruption.
He is Co-Chair of the Canadian Association of Importers and Exporters’ Export Committee and sits on IE Canada’s Advocacy Council. He is also a member of the Canadian Council for the Americas, the Board of Trade of Metropolitan Toronto, and the Royal Canadian Military Institute.
John is regularly invited to speak at national and international conferences and seminars on trade and investment matters. Speaking engagements include the International Bar Association, the American Bar Association, the World Customs Organization in Brussels, the Annual Conference of the Canadian Tax Foundation, the Commodity Tax Symposium of the Canadian Institute of Chartered Accounts and the Annual Research Seminar of the Canadian Petroleum Law Foundation. He has lectured in the Master of Laws (international trade) program at Osgoode Hall Law School, and at the University of Western Ontario and the University of Toronto. He also teaches IE Canada’s Customs Duty and International Trade Course at locations across Canada.
John received his B. Comm. (Gold Medalist) from the University of Toronto in 1990. He received his LLB from the Faculty of Law at the University of Toronto and was called to the Ontario bar in 1995. In 1998, he received his LLM (International Trade and Competition Law) from the Osgoode Hall Law School.
RECENT PUBLICATIONS, ATTRIBUTIONS AND SPEECHES (2013 TO PRESENT)
- Speaker, U.S. Commercial Export Controls & Embargoes Seminar, U.S. Export Controls on Non-US Transactions: A Practical Guide, Export Compliance Training Institute, Montréal, May 4 – 7, 2015.
- Speaker, "Economic Sanctions: Addressing Key Enforcement and Compliance Challenges", The Law and Practice of International Trade 2015 Program, The Commons Institute, Ottawa, March 27, 2015.
- Speaker, The 4th Industry Forum on U.S. Export & Re-Export Compliance for Canadian Operations Conference, American Conference Institute/The Canadian Institute, Toronto, January 27-28, 2015.
- Speaker, "Economic Sanctions Against Russia - What Does That Mean For Canadian Companies?", Economic Sanctions Against Russia Webinar, Canadian Association of Importers and Exporters, December 12, 2014.
- Chair, Course Leader, "Overview of the Anti-Corruption Landscape for Canadian Companies", Lexpert Conference: "Anti-Bribery and Corruption Compliance: Coping With the Onslaught", Calgary and Toronto, December 8 & 11, 2014.
- Speaker, "Mitigating Agent, Consultant and Third Party Risk", Lexpert Conference: "Anti-Bribery and Corruption Compliance: Coping With the Onslaught", Calgary and Toronto, December 8 & 11, 2014.
- Lecturer, "Ensuring Third-Party Anti-Corruption Compliance", the 7th Bribery and Foreign Corruption Course, Federated Press, Toronto, December 5, 2014.
- Speaker, "Practice Issues in Addressing Conflicts Between US and Canadian Economic Sanctions", the 5th Annual Economic Sanctions Boot Camp, American Conference Institute, New York, December 4, 2014.
- Quoted in "Germany won’t block Canada-Europe trade deal despite investor-state clause", by Barrie McKenna, The Globe and Mail, November 28, 2014.
- Lecturer, "Customs Enforcement, AMPS, and Appeals; Anti-Dumping, Countervail, and Safeguards; Import and Export Controls and Trade Embargoes; International Trade and Investment Agreements", Canadian Association of Importers and Exporters Customs Duty and International Trade Course, Toronto, November 20, 2014.
- "Canada to Update Its Export and Technology Transfer Controls", McCarthy Tétrault Legal Update, November 10, 2014.
- Speaker, "International Law: From BNP Paribas to Kiev - Recent Developments in Export Controls and Economic Sanctions", the Seminal Export Controls Program, the Ontario Bar Association, Toronto, November 10, 2014.
- "Canada Introduces New Payment Disclosure Regime: The Extractive Sector Transparency Measures Act", McCarthy Tétrault Legal Update, November 4, 2014.
- Speaker, "The Canadian Perspective: Waging War Financially - Economic and Trade Sanctions in the 21st Century", International Bar Association Annual Conference, Tokyo, October 22, 2014.
- Speaker, "McCarthy Tétrault Advance™: Anti-corruption laws – Implications for companies doing business in Canada and abroad", Montréal, Québec, October 8, 2014.
- Speaker, "
Perspectives from the EU and Canada: Compliance Expectations for Global Financial Institutions and Exporters
Changements importants apportés aux contrôles à l’exportation et aux transferts technologiques
Le gouvernement du Canada lance des consultations sur les règles de divulgation obligatoire des paiements
The Growing Impact of Canadian Trade Controls: An Update on Economic Sanctions and Export Controls
De nouvelles sanctions économiques canadiennes ciblent des dirigeants russes et criméens
Le Canada impose des sanctions économiques contre l’ancien régime ukrainien : Au tour de la Russie?
ITAR & Controlled Goods: Canadian Defense Production Act (DPA) & CGP Proposed Amendments and Its Impact On Your Business
Anti-Corruption Compliance for Importers and Exporters
6th Bribery and Foreign Corruption Course
Introduction and Overview of The Anti-Corruption Landscape For Canadian Companies
McCarthy Tétrault reconnu par Lexpert dans le domaine du litige transfrontalier
Nomination de John Boscariol, associé du cabinet McCarthy Tétrault, à la tête d'une division de l'ABA
L’avocat John Boscariol du cabinet McCarthy Tétrault honoré par l’Association canadienne des importateurs et exportateurs
Dix avocats de McCarthy Tétrault désignés « Avocat de l’année » dans l’édition 2013 du guide Best Lawyers in Canada
John Boscariol et David Tennant du cabinet McCarthy Tétrault récompensés dans le cadre des Client Choice Awards de l’International Law Office
Le groupe du droit du commerce et de l’investissement international de McCarthy Tétrault en tête des classements nationaux et mondiaux
Le groupe du droit du commerce international de McCarthy Tétrault se classe au plus haut niveau à l’échelle nationale et internationale
Transactions et causes
Un consortium réalise l’acquisition de Métal 7
Argo Data Resource acquiert Advanced Software Design
Canadian Overseas Petroleum acquiert Liberia oil and gas Block LB 13 auprès de Peppercoast Petroleum Plc.
Canadian Overseas Petroleum vend une participation de 80 % dans Liberia Block LB 13 à ExxonMobil.
IBM acquiert Algorithmics
Berkshire Partners et OMERS Private Equity acquièrent Husky International.
salesforce.com réalise l’acquisition de l’entreprise de surveillance de médias sociaux Radian6 pour 350 millions de dollars US.
Emerisque Brands UK Limited et SKNL North America, B.V. font l'acquisition de Hartmarx Corporation et Coppley Apparel Ltd
Réorganisation de Chrysler LLC
McCain Foods Ltd. c. Kraft Canada (audience du TCCE PI-2003-006)