Making a Difference Together
McCarthy Tétrault Foundation
One of the most significant ways in which our firm contributes to Canadian communities is through the McCarthy Tétrault Foundation, a firm-wide, regionally represented organization governed by a board of directors who meet monthly. We created the Foundation in 1997 – a first among Canadian law firms – to oversee our firm-wide charitable giving and sponsorships.The Foundation’s goals are to:
- deliver on our obligations as a major player in the Canadian legal and economic landscape
- give back to the communities in which we reside and work
- recognize the significant contribution that Canadian law schools make to our success in a way that supports our recruitment efforts to continually attract the best and brightest students
- coordinate our giving program such that the objectives of the firm and our donations in all regions are appropriately aligned
The funds available to the Foundation since its inception have been disbursed under two broad categories:
1. Community and local charitable causes, including specific capital campaigns and arts organizations supported by the firm.
2. Law school donations, including sponsoring law student internships and capital campaigns on an ongoing basis. This giving is determined in consultation with members of our Student Program. For example, through the Foundation’s annual contribution, McCarthy Tétrault is the exclusive law firm partner for Pro Bono Students Canada, which operates in law schools across the country.
The Foundation supports over 160 Canadian organizations and institutions, including hospitals, local charities, food banks, youth and cultural programs, arts organizations and law schools.
(Chair of the Foundation)
Nigel Johnston (Ontario)
Philippe Cantin (Québec)
Bryan West authors a Practical Guide to Navigating Builders’ Liens in Alberta
Deborah Templer joins McCarthy Tétrault as the newest equity partner in our Litigation Group
McCarthy Tétrault salutes 2016 Rising Stars Ana Badour and Steeves Bujold
McCarthy Tétrault among the Top 100 Canadian Employers for the 5th consecutive year
McCarthy Tétrault successfully represents a healthcare company in the first pharmaceutical product liability class action trial in Canada
Kim Thomassin receives Mérite Christine-Tourigny and Avocat émérite distinctions from Barreau du Québec
Steve Mason to Lead McCarthy Tétrault’s Intellectual Property Litigation Group
McCarthy Tétrault presents Vestra Vox, Canada’s first national student law blog
In Memory of Thomas B. Akin
McCarthy Tétrault’s makes its mark in the Chambers Canada Results